4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by cbauman _ RSS

Summary Not Returning Any Values

cbauman _

I have a table that I am trying to view in a summary.  I am pulling in three separate data/text type fields and then two value fields.  The data fields look rightn in the summary, but the value fields are blank.  I see this many times and always seem to be able to get around it by changing fields around, but I have never found what actually causes the problem.  Is this common, does anyone else ever see this issue?

• Summary Not Returning Any Values
          Olly Bond

I have a table that I am trying to view in a summary.  I am pulling in three separate data/text type fields and then two value fields.  The data fields look rightn in the summary, but the value fields are blank.  I see this many times and always seem to be able to get around it by changing fields around, but I have never found what actually causes the problem.  Is this common, does anyone else ever see this issue?[/QUOTE]

Hello cbauman and welcome

If you define your summary with character fields as "key" fields and numeric fields as "measures", then Monarch should default to summing the numeric values. Perhaps you need to double check the field types? If you would like to email me the report and model I'll happily take a look and see what's going on.

Best wishes,

Olly

cbauman _

Thanks Olly, I just emailed to you.

Kamawell2 _

I have a recurring problem with fields looking fine in the table view but then coming up as null in the summary - does that sound like the same issue?

cbauman _

This sounds like the same problem.  While I do not have a technical solution, it seems that the null numeric values are especially returned when the key fields are on the Table via an external lookup.  I rebuilt my Table in a way that the key fields are not from an external lookup and my summaries worked.  I also found that version 11 seemed to handle this situation better than 10.5.  Running the summary in 10.5 returned blank numeric summary values while running the same summary in 11 populated the values (when my key fields were from the external lookup).