6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

What version added the "cleared by" function in the template traps?

joe.lovati _

What version added the "cleared by" function in the template traps?

• What version added the "cleared by" function in the template traps?
          Olly Bond

Hi Joe,

I'm pretty confident this was a 10.0 introduction, although as I've been using 10.5 for over three years my memory might be failing me. If you've got 10, then 10.5 was a free upgrade anyway. I'd downplayed how helpful it is, as you can hack your way through pretty much any data using multiple passes and Page() and Line() conditions, but it really does make a lot of things possible in a single model that previously required work-arounds.

For easy reference:

v4 - advanced field properties

v5 - external lookups

v6 - floating trap

v7 - HTML tables

v8 - PDF files

v9 - new Excel engine

v10 - cleared by template

v10.5 the "export report file to Excel" option

v11 - exporting graphs, and a new interface with a floating field list

What would you like to see in v12? I'd like to see the option to manage external lookups as more than left outer joins, to handle more than 40 multiple column regions, and to make an external lookup to the export of another project.

Best wishes

Olly

joe.lovati _

I think you're right about it being v10. 

I'd like to see more (currently a limit of 9)  external lookups. 

And a MAX function that can be used for pre filtering your external look up values.

Scott Eshleman

What would you like to see in v12? I'd like to see the option to manage external lookups as more than left outer joins, to handle more than 40 multiple column regions, and to make an external lookup to the export of another project.

Olly[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see more (currently a limit of 9) external lookups.

And a MAX function that can be used for pre filtering your external look up values.[/QUOTE]

I agree whole-heartedly on all of the requests mentioned above.

More JOIN options. More external lookup connections. More functions with which to pre-filter the lookups.

40+ Multi-Column Regions? Wow!!!

...and maybe I'm not understanding the request, but why[/U] can't you "[I]make an external lookup to the export of another project[/I]"??

Olly Bond

Hello Scott,

Thanks for picking up on that. I think what I'm after is a way to specify a DataPump style process in desktop Monarch, that is a sequence of projects that should be executed in order. We're all familiar with writing a batch file:

"C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\Monarch.exe" "Project1.xprj" /pxall

"C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\Monarch.exe" "Project2.xprj" /pxall

"C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\Monarch.exe" "Project3.xprj" /pxall[/CODE]

Essentially, a DataPump process is just this - with logging, verification, scripting and distribution thrown in - and at each stage you can use the export from Project 1 as the table input for Project 2 and the summary export from Project 2 as the external lookup for Project 3, for example.

However, I've seen lots of users find this approach challenging, and in using Datawatch's web-based Monarch BI/ES server, you don't have the option of running more than one model against the source report(s) to get what you want.

I thought it might be helpful to think about how we could say in one model, say Model3, that it should call as an external lookup not "Export2.mdb" but "Project2 / export:xyz" - and that Monarch would then call itself - whether on the desktop, on DataPump or in the web version, and fetch that data.

I'm sorry if I've not worked this one out fully, or not expressed it very clearly, but I'm going to blog about multi-pass models in general and how to document them in a week or two.

Best wishes,

Olly

Scott Eshleman

Hello Scott,

Thanks for picking up on that. I think what I'm after is a way to specify a DataPump style process in desktop Monarch, that is a sequence of projects that should be executed in order. We're all familiar with writing a batch file:

"C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\Monarch.exe" "Project1.xprj" /pxall

"C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\Monarch.exe" "Project2.xprj" /pxall

"C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\Monarch.exe" "Project3.xprj" /pxall[/CODE]

Essentially, a DataPump process is just this - with logging, verification, scripting and distribution thrown in - and at each stage you can use the export from Project 1 as the table input for Project 2 and the summary export from Project 2 as the external lookup for Project 3, for example.

However, I've seen lots of users find this approach challenging, and in using Datawatch's web-based Monarch BI/ES server, you don't have the option of running more than one model against the source report(s) to get what you want.

I thought it might be helpful to think about how we could say in one model, say Model3, that it should call as an external lookup not "Export2.mdb" but "Project2 / export:xyz" - and that Monarch would then call itself - whether on the desktop, on DataPump or in the web version, and fetch that data.

I'm sorry if I've not worked this one out fully, or not expressed it very clearly, but I'm going to blog about multi-pass models in general and how to document them in a week or two.

Best wishes, Olly[/QUOTE]

Got it and that's a great idea.  "Sequential Projects-within-Projects". 

I have done exports that feed back into the same project as an external lookup with & without batch files. 

Sometimes, it can get hairy when implementing & tracking the sequence of manual refreshes & manual exports necessary (especially in ver 11.x).