12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2014 8:49 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Monarch 7 Reference Guide

Tracy Johnson

My company modified a years old report to change column width and of course now the model no longer works.  We're on Monarch v.7.  I was hoping there was something in the software that would allow me to modify the columns affected without reinventing the model.

The last forum message that referenced the v7 Reference Guilde that I could find has a link to the Datawatch web site that is no longer operational.

Did anyone manage to keep a copy of the v.7 Reference Manual?

• Monarch 7 Reference Guide
          Olly Bond

Hello Tracy,

v7 is "legacy" - that must be from about 2005? The feature to nudge fields left and right along a sample line was new in v9 (I think) which is a shame, as it would be ideal for what you're trying to do.

Three suggestions spring to mind: i) perhaps Grant has a v7 reference manual, but I'm afraid I don't, ii) download the free trial of Monarch v11, adjust the field widths and save the model (it should work in v7), or iii) upgrade.

Best wishes,

Olly

Eamon Donoghue

Hi Tracy,

I have a few old manuals here.  While I can't find V7, I do have V6 and V8.  I have a feeling one or other of those will be relevant.  If Grant, Olly, Data Kruncher or any other member can suggest which one is more useful, I'd be happy to help out.

If you're interested, please PM me and we'll take it from there.

Best regards,

Eamon.

Tracy Johnson

Olly's suggestion about the free trial sounds the best.  Unless something happens, I do not forsee the powers that be buying into an upgrade.  The source of our report was also legacy and dates from 1979 in FORTRAN/77.  We recompiled it with the column changes last week.  We went from 6 digit to 10 digit check numbers therefore some of our AP report columns went into overflow, so we had to retool some of our FORTRAN code.

The reason I was looking for the manual was when I looked at the raw text of the Monarch model, I believed I could figure it out, if I only knew what the cryptic numbers meant.  If there is a tool in the later versions to simply adjust those columns, I'll probably use the trial version.

I'm a legacy programmer at my biz and got stuck with fixing this report when it was found the original model maker (in Accounting) had quit years ago.

The actual users appear to have Monarch v.7 working fine on Windows 7.  Apparently our PC folks in IT manage our licenses well, (but not upgrades.)

RalphB _

Tracy,

I don't think the manual will help you in what you want.  I don't think I have ever seen the model layout you are seeking ever in a manual and we have been using Monarch since V6.0 and currently on 10.5.  Monarch is designed so the average user can use it so you don't have to be a programmer to set it up might be the reason they don't include it in the manuals.

I believe the first version that allowed users to shift the columns left or right was in V8 and it would adjust all columns at once.  Later versions including the trial allowed a user to adjust one column at a time.

The only options I see for you is to open your report in your V7 and adjust the columns manually or try the Trial version method.

BTW, is the model a .mod or .xmod (xml) model?    I believe Monarch 7 could use both but later versions the models had to be .xmod.  The trial version will convert the model to .xmod and not save it as a .mod file.

HTH.

Data Kruncher

I can't tell you how many times I did exactly this kind of model update with v5, without any kind of easy field shifting tools, when the systems folks decided to modify the structure of many of our reports at the time.

The shifting tools introduced in v9 have been fantastic in this regard. Those who never fought with template updates with earlier versions can't appreciate the amount of effort that the shifting tools eliminated.

The routine goes something like this:

open the template for editing

double click the rightmost field that needs to be shifted to get its name and field type

delete that field and immediately repaint it, carefully assigning the old name and field type

do the same for the next field to the left

repeat until done

/LIST

Not fun but not overly difficult.

Grant Perkins

Tracy,

If you know the  new start and end positions oof the columns in the report (and I assume you do if you modified it!) then the easy Moanrch Model adaptation is to use the Field List feature and, working from the rightmost field, set the new values for column start position and field length. (Also line position within a template but that may be more detail than you need). Pretyy sure Field Lit existed in V7. Sadly my machine with V7 installed died a few weeks ago.

Field List may or may not be in the order of the fields across the report but it is, in effect, a table and should be easy enough to modify to fit the new layout.

HTH.

Grant

• Re: Monarch 7 Reference Guide
                          Bettercy C

eamond_May,

I'm new here and I just installed V8. May I get a copy of the V8 reference guide? Thanks a lot.

Olly Bond

Hello Bettercy, and welcome,

I've emailed the v8 programmers' reference guide to you.

Best wishes,

Olly

Bettercy C

Olly,

Thanks a lot for the help! :-)

May I ask do you have the reference guide /user manual /     function guide for V8?

Thanks again.

Olly Bond

Hello Bettercy,

I assumed you wanted the programmers guide with the reference functions for the automation of Monarch on the desktop. Are you looking instead for a straightforward user manual for someone new to Monarch?

Best wishes,

Olly

Bettercy C

Olly,

Thank you very much for the help.

Pls allow me to explain my situation: IT department just installed Monarch

v8 for me on Thu. Without any documentation and its the first time for me

to use it. My coworkers don't have any documentation neither. I tried

to contact with Datawatch for documentation after searching website and

they told me I should go to our community without giving me any thing.

I really don't know which kind of documentation is available for v8 since

it's a very old version. Any user guide, learning guide , reference

book will be very helpful. Anything is better than nothing.

Deeply appreciate all the help and information.

Have a great weekend.

Bettercy

On Friday, September 12, 2014, Olly Bond <

Olly Bond

Hello Bettercy,

You're not alone - thousands of Monarch users are stranded in between an IT department that don't take Monarch seriously, and a vendor in Datawatch that seems more focused on selling visualization software than on supporting the loyal user base of report mining tools.

In your case, I've some sympathy for Datawatch. Your IT colleagues have given you a tool that dates back to 2006, and went out of support in early 2009. It's certified for versions of Windows that Microsoft no longer support. It can only read and write from legacy versions of Excel.

So for over five years your organization has saved pennies on just paying maintenance and upgrading Monarch, but they still want to deploy it in production and expect you to use it. Last time I checked, Datawatch weren't registered as a non-profit charity - so they can't be expected to support you for free.

Before your IT department contacts Datawatch for an upgrade, it might be helpful to think about the other aspects of using software, apart from having current, licensed and supported versions deployed.

Firstly, ask why you use Monarch anyway? What do you expect to be able to do with it? Is it just to run a batch file that calls a model someone else built years ago? Or are you expected to develop models yourself, or support these for colleagues?

Secondly, think about the architecture - does this work belong on a desktop or should it be automated reliably? Who consumes the output? What are their needs? Would it help to give them visualizations?

Thirdly, think about your own needs. Users are the most expensive component of most software solutions - well, possibly not for SAS, but most... - and investing in the right training is essential. On Friday I helped a user who had copied and pasted data from Monarch to Notepad, before importing to Excel as a comma separated file, for over a year. He'd never been shown that you could export the data from the table window as an Excel file. Every user has different skills and knowledge - it's worth getting these checked before getting the training you need to address any gaps.

Lastly, don't be scared to tot up what benefits Monarch brings and think about whether it's worth keeping. It might be that investing a few weeks effort in programming custom reports from your system is the better solution. Or you might find that there are a ton of other useful problems that you could solve, if you had the right version, deployed right, with users trained right.

I'm always amazed at how people invest in software - the lack of planning, of any sort of due diligence beyond looking at the Gartner quadrant, of testing whether they got any ROI - in any other part of the business, there'd be a lot more accountability and a lot more discussion. But buying software systems seems to be something that people without any formal training or qualifications think they can do without needing any advice.

That's a different answer, I guess, to what you might have been looking for, but I'm trying to help. To learn the basics of Monarch, open up Classic.prn as a report, and Lesson11.xmod as a model, and export a summary as an Excel file. Work your way through every dialog you can - nearly all the key basic concepts are in that exercise.

Once you can build a top ten summary of Composers by CD Sales from the "Betty's Music Store" data, you'll have the skills you need to attack almost any problem.

If you'd like a chat about how Monarch Experts might be able to help, please drop me an email.

Best wishes,

Olly

Olly Bond

MONARCH Ã | ß | Ň | Ø EXPERTS

www.monarchexperts.com<http://www.monarchexperts.com>

olly@monarchexperts.com<mailto:olly@monarchexperts.com>