7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by roger_27 _ RSS

User-Defined Functions message in Windows 7

bgoderwis _

I have looked at past posts regarding "Unable to Expose User-Defined Functions from the following models: Default", but I didn't see any that helped.

How do I get rid of this message for Monarch v11 running on Windows 7?

I ran the utility and got plenty of red, but then I didn't know what to do after that.

Thanks,

Bob

• User-Defined Functions message in Windows 7
          Olly Bond

Hello Bob,

It sounds like the user running Monarch doesn't have the permissions needed to read the folder containing the default external model. If you're not making reference to any of the functions available in it, it's safe to delete the references from your models which should get rid of the messages, but it might be better to check the permissions. Is it a server installation?

Best wishes,

Olly

Joe Berry

I get a similar message when I move a model created in Windows XP to my Windows 7 system.  I set the external models to the default location and that removes the message.

bgoderwis _

Olly and Joe,

Thanks for the replies. I'm a long-time Monarch user, but I'm brand new to Windows 7 and Monarch v11. My v11 is not a server installation. If I'm looking in the right place, the default external model location points to a non-existent "Documents and Settings" folder. What do I change this to?

Thanks,

Bob

elginreigner _

You may need to redirect the default location to c:\users, the 'Documents and Settings' were replace by c:\users and c:\programdata in Vista and Windows 7.

pams_cf _

I also have this problem.  On the machines that I did not install sample data (because I don't need it), I get this message.  Then I got smart and installed the sample data and that machine does not get this message.  Seems a little odd....  I hope Monarch developers see this message.

Grant Perkins

I also have this problem.  On the machines that I did not install sample data (because I don't need it), I get this message.  Then I got smart and installed the sample data and that machine does not get this message.  Seems a little odd....  I hope Monarch developers see this message.[/QUOTE]

Let me see if I can describe this - it would be easier to demonstrate rather than use words.

When the concept of User Defined Functions was introduced (See the PDF Tutorial provided with the install for a relatively detailed description) it included the option for users to create and save functions their own useful functions in a model and then use them in other models by referring to the original model containing the function rather than having to recreate it each time.

It made sense to offer some useful functions created as part of the the development of the feature and offer them as aids both for understanding and for use in practical examples. As such the model containing these User Defined functions has been included in the Default Model folder created when the training models are installed. If you don't go for that part of the installation you not only skip the training models but you don't get the preset default model for User Defined Function either. Since there are some potentially useful things in there it might be better to install and then deleted al the other models but that is down to user choice.

You can, of course, just create your own master model, or models, that contain special to you or your business functions that you use repeatedly and make that the default UDF model. If you do that and set it to "Expose" the functions it contains they become available for general use in the functions list.

In this scenario the UDF model would be an External model. Your current model can use functions (or fields or whatever is available in a model) from the default or any other model you link it to. If you look at the External Model list for your currently open model you should see an entry for the Default model. As supplied that would be the Userdefinedfunctions.xmod put into the Model folder created on installation if you have installed the default folder structure and demo files.

Monarch will look for a default UDF store Model when you work with a new model. You can delete the reference to a default or point the reference to a different model file to act as the default if you have an alternative central model store of functions - usually it would contain the things that you or your colleagues have developed that you find useful on a regular basis.

To understand the full intention of UDFs you may also want to consider Linked Objects. The two concepts together offer a potentially very powerful way to create and re-use/share model functionality for time saving and consistent results.

I hope this helps in some way. If not let me know and I will have another go as explaining.

Grant

roger_27 _

Better Solution:

get a demo key from datawatch

install it on a different computer

copy the following folder created from the fresh install

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Monarch\Models

(if that folder is not found, search for the folder containing the file UserDefinedFunctions.xmod )

go back to your broken computer

go to edit -> External Models (or the external models button on v11 on the first ribbon)

look at the LOCATION of the UserDefinedFunctions.xmod

paste the models folder from the good computer in the same location.