4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

Combining multiple rows of data into one field.

Audrey _

I have data in a format similar to shown below. All fields are in one row EXCEPT the Title field, which can be in 1-8 rows.

[INDENT][INDENT]Title line 1

Title line 2

/INDENT[/INDENT][/INDENT]DRG Yes No Title line 3 18.1239

I can not get the above sample data to actually look like my data. In my actual data, all rows line up correctly, there is NO line spaces. Data lines are on the last line of the title description only.

I need to create a table so the TITLE field is in table field and lined up w/ the remaining data fields:

003 Yes No PRE Ecmo or trach w/ ..... maj or 18.1239

I have spent weeks searching threads and manuals trying to pull this data. All attempts have failed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I am using Monarch Pro V11 and the original file format is PDF.

• Combining multiple rows of data into one field.
          Data Kruncher

Hi Audrey, and welcome to the forum.

I'm having a bit of a hard time following where all of the data that needs to be captured is coming from, in terms of which line(s) and what's lined up with what.

Would it be possible for you to send me one of the PDF files?

Audrey _

Yes, how do I send you the file??

Data Kruncher

Please check your private messages.

Data Kruncher

For reference, I was able to create two models for two PDF files that Audrey sent to me, and she tells me that they've resolved her challenge.

The challenge was that the reports had odd vertical alignments of the data. In one report, all but one of fields in a record were in the same row, but a middle field with a long text description sometimes would take up to six rows within its space, with the last row being the "regular" detail row.

The other report had a similar appearance, but some of fields on the left side of middle description text would be in line with the first row of the description, and fields right of the description would be in line with the last row of the description.

To compound the problem, the amount of descriptive text varied from being contained to one row to spanning up to six rows, IIRC.

I resolved both situations by using an append template and combining the two description fields (one from the append, one from the detail) into one using a calculated field, and then hiding the original components from view in the table.

I can't say that I'd seen that sort of presentation before.