12 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by Expertintraining _ RSS

HELP! I Upgraded to 11.1. The summary "Edit" worked, then quits!

Rick Conklin

Greetings,

I have a simple text file as my source. (exported from another Monarch project). I set up a summary.  I made several changes to it. 

Then the "edit" quit working.  I can right-click and all other "summary" options work. Activate, duplicate, etc.  But, not "edit".

There are only 600+ records in the table.

The summary has the second and third columns hidden and displays only the header / summary for those columns.  The first column displays only so it can be used to create multiple tabs in Excel.

When this happened the first time, I deleted my project and model and started from scratch.  After getting the summary set up (again), I realized I needed a change, right-clicked the name of the summary (in left explorer pane) "edit" and ... nothing.  Same as before.

If I go to the Summary icon (top left) highlight the summary name and click edit, Monarch crashes[/U] every time. I get the message, Monarch stopped working, restarting.

I don't recall having this problem in 11.01

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rick Conklin

Wichita, KS

• HELP! I Upgraded to 11.1. The summary "Edit" worked, then quits!
          elginreigner _

I am not on 11.0 but being in IT my first response would be to re-install Monarch. It sounds like a corrupt install, or a corrupt .NET install.

OddJob _

I am not on 11.0 but being in IT my first response would be to re-install Monarch. It sounds like a corrupt install, or a corrupt .NET install.[/QUOTE]

Hi Rick

I would tend to agree that it sounds more like a corrupt file etc. than a general problem with Monarch.

I'm using V11.1 and although it still has some bugs to be fixed, I haven't encountered this sort of behaviour with it.

I've spent some time trying to recreate the problem but, without success.

You could try duplicating the model / summary to see whether the duplicates behave in the same way as the original. Also try creating a new version of the summary, saving it and testing it at each step, to see whether it fails after a particular change.

If the model fails consistently after one particular change, it might indicate a bug rather than a corrupt install but, either way you'll have to spend a little time troubleshooting the problem.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

Rick Conklin

I deleted and re-created my project numerous times.  Finally worked with Monarch support. Nice folks in the Philippines.  They guessed that I improperly upgraded to 11.1. Their solution, uninstall reinstall Monarch and .Net etc.  Did that, but the problem persisted.  Each time I would create the project from scratch.

After creating this project so many times, it occurred to me the problem only surfaced if my particular change (in Summary, edit) was in the "page setup".

I mentioned this to support. They emailed me... "We forwarded your hunch to second level support and second level support says, oh yeah, that's a KNOWN BUG IN MONARCH 11". 

Once, I heard that, I further experimented and discovered the exact bug was adding to a header or footer the "First of a Field" canned choice.  I determined this and only this[/U] was repeatable and could force a crash every time.   I notified them and the response was classic from Monarch support.  "Don't use that feature until further notice".  (duh!)  :rolleyes:

Am I missing something?  Is there a website of "Known Issues"?  If so, the "first level support ought to know as well as us users".

At least its something I can work around.

Have a great day.

Rick

OddJob _

Am I missing something?  Is there a website of "Known Issues"?  If so, the "first level support ought to know as well as us users".

Rick[/QUOTE]

Hi Rick

As far as I know, this forum is the only place to find any information about problems with the different versions of Monarch. Even then, it relies on users posting the information.

If someone reports a bug but doesn't share the details on the forum, we are likely to encounter the same problems until Datawatch release a fix.

What would be useful, either on the forum or on the Datawatch site, is a complete release history, with details of the issues fixed by each release. This would at least allow users to determine whether an update to a newer version would resolve whatever problems they're experiencing.

Also a list of bugs in the current release that have been reported to support, should prevent duplicated bug reports to support and save time and effort for users.

As you implied in your post, there are few things more frustrating than having to waste time pinpointing a bug, only to be told 'yeah, we already know about that'.

I'm glad to hear that you finally managed to solve your problem and I can confirm that I followed the steps outlined in your post and got exactly the same results - Monarch crashed and displayed 'Monarch stopped working, restarting'.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

jogram _

I realize there is a work around (not using the feature), but what about all of the summaries I have created in 10.5 that use the "First of Field" option in the header-- I can't edit any of them!!??

Data Kruncher

I realize that it's far from ideal, but it shouldn't take too long to recreate the problem summaries with new names, delete the old summaries and then rename the new ones to use the old names.

Given the current issues with v11, and since I don't use v11 as yet, this is the best option that I can envision.

Olly Bond

Hello,

Sorry to be late to the party on this one, but what happens if you open a copy of the model in v11, delete the summaries, then import /Bthe summaries from the original model?

Best wishes,

Olly

jogram _

Good thought, I also considered this as I was trying to fall asleep last night... but the imported summary has the same issue and there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the imported summary prior to completion of the import.

Unfortunately, I use this header technique quite often, so recreating the affected summaries is quite daunting.  I fear my best option is to downgrade to 10.5 until such time the bug is fixed.

Thanks.

Scott Eshleman

Good thought, I also considered this as I was trying to fall asleep last night... but the imported summary has the same issue and there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the imported summary prior to completion of the import.

Unfortunately, I use this header technique quite often, so recreating the affected summaries is quite daunting. I fear my best option is to downgrade to 10.5 until such time the bug is fixed.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have been having similar 'crash & burn' issues with Summaries in ver11.1. Most seem to be a result of nearly any type of edit to the [SIZE=3]Page Setup[/SIZE][/B]. Margins, Column Numbers, and especially Page Headers & Footers.

At some point, Monarch becomes resistant to further edits, freezes and eventually crashes. Then the Summary cannot be updated, duplicated, or printed.

I fear my best option is to downgrade to 10.5 until such time the bug is fixed, too.

For the few number of new functions introduced, and for the 1st time in as long as I can remember, I cannot recommend a current version of Monarch to a new user. Find and buy a copy of 10.5, if you can.

OddJob _

I fear my best option is to downgrade to 10.5 until such time the bug is fixed, too.

For the few number of new functions introduced, and for the 1st time in as long as I can remember, I cannot recommend a current version of Monarch to a new user. Find and buy a copy of 10.5, if you can.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I've used Monarch since version 1 and I've always recommended it to anyone who would stand still long enough to listen to me.

V11 was pretty devastating when I downloaded the first release of it. Not only was it buggy but, models from previous versions suddenly didn't work.  When trying to edit complex calculated field formulae my PC would stutter and practically grind to a halt and, having made most of the changes to a model my PC would crash.

I have to admit that V11.1 is far better than the earlier releases of V11 but there are obviously still some bugs to be fixed and I would feel more comfortable recommending V10 over V11 to any new users.

Gareth Horton

Hi all,

Rest assured we are working flat out on the next point release to address as many issues as we can.

I'll put an announcement on the forums as soon as it's available for download.

Gareth

I have to agree. I've used Monarch since version 1 and I've always recommended it to anyone who would stand still long enough to listen to me.

V11 was pretty devastating when I downloaded the first release of it. Not only was it buggy but, models from previous versions suddenly didn't work.  When trying to edit complex calculated field formulae my PC would stutter and practically grind to a halt and, having made most of the changes to a model my PC would crash.

I have to admit that V11.1 is far better than the earlier releases of V11 but there are obviously still some bugs to be fixed and I would feel more comfortable recommending V10 over V11 to any new users.[/QUOTE]

Expertintraining _

We have also experienced the same issue with V11.1 where a summary uses a "First of Field" option in the header.  Monarch crashes and the summary becomes completely un-editable. 

How will V11.1 users be advised when a fix is available for this known bug?

Thanks.