1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:13 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

Proper term for annoying export format and ways to deal with it

MonUserCJ _

Hey all,

In my data workings, I have occasionally encountered an annoying characteristic of some exported CSV files where the header (i.e. report names, column headings) and footer fields (e.g. totals, date run) appear on EVERY line of the record.

It is quite irritating, because the header and footer are contained on every line, and yet it is very difficult to see what column headers correspond to which fields in the actual data.

Does anyone know the term to describe this kind of export? I sometimes have to spend substantial amounts of time working around it, so it'd be nice to know what it's called. Also, what's the point of it? The only advantage I can see to it is that each row of data is self-contained, so if you were to copy any row of data you would have all the header and footer information in it.

Also, how do you guys deal with these reports? I have tried removing the header/footer data using the replace function of a text editor, but the column headers never seem to exactly line up with the fields when I do. If I click the right fields in the large list when I try to open it as a database, I suppose it would work, but yet then I have to rely on identifying the fields of data on sight (e.g. oh, this must be the address, etc.).

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice or context that anyone can provide. Thanks.

• Proper term for annoying export format and ways to deal with it
          Data Kruncher

I don't know what it's called, if there is a specific name for this approach, but have seen it on rare occasion.

I'd open the CSV file as a database source in Monarch, and then select the fields to import, or hide them in the table view and then export the leftovers, if necessary.

Alternatively, you can do the same by opening the CSV file directly into Excel, assuming that it fits (not too many rows/columns). Then clean it up as applicable, and save it out again.

I don't know of a better way, especially on the first use of a new CSV file. As you say, the best reviewer of the content - the only one to trust - is your eyes.

On the second pass however, Monarch takes over.