3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:12 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Exporting Summaries With A Certain Number of Records

MRiley _

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I'm a total newbie so please be gentle with me :confused:

I have a batch script, which exports about 130 summaries to seperate Excel spreadsheets.  The summaries contain a calculated field that indicates the number of data records on the sheet.  However, when I run these reports there is no guarantee that every spreadsheet will actually contain data.

Is there a way to configure the batch script to only export the summaries where the value of the calculated field is greater than zero (or is not NULL)?

My batch script currently looks like this:

"C:\program files\monarch\program\monarch.exe" "G:\HBClient\Landlord Schedules\Documentation\Landlord Schedules.xprj" /pxall

Thanks in advance for your help

Riley

• Exporting Summaries With A Certain Number of Records
          Olly Bond

Hello Riley,

Yes, you can do this. You'll need two passes - one to export the counts per filter/summary as a single table. Then use this as an external lookup and filter accordingly.

It's not easy to give you clear step-by-step instructions on this one without sight of the current model & project - are there 130 summaries in the model, or is it one summary set to export against all filters or broken on key value?

Best wishes,

Olly

MRiley _

Hi Olly,

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to post a copy of the project files due to data protection and privacy laws.

To answer your question, the data I'm using comes from a plain text file on which I've set up traps to extract the data I need.  Then I have filters for each data set and a corresponding summary for each filter.  In project exports there is an export job for each summary.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks again for your assistance

Riley

Olly Bond

Hello Riley,

That's clear enough, I think. I'd have a bash first of all at building a summary which counted the number of records for each key field on which you have built your filter. You might need to construct an artifical key field combining two or three fields, so that you can use the "break on first key value" feature for the second export.

I think you should be able to build it in two stages, so that in the first stage there's one calculated field and a summary export, and in the second stage there's one external lookup, one filter, one summary and an export which bursts this on the values of a hidden first key field.

I'm in London in a few weeks - drop me a line if you'd like me to come and have a look.

Best wishes,

Olly