6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2014 1:39 PM by rlandeo _ RSS

Cursor Position in File

matixsnow1 _

Is there a way for Monarch to tell you your cursor position in a file?  I know TextPad can do this, but I cannot find this in Monarch.

Thanks!

• Cursor Position in File
          Data Kruncher

Yes, Monarch will do this (only in regards to column position, not page row), but not in regular viewing of the Report window.

To see the column position you must create a new template or edit an existing one. Then when you click in the sample line of the template editor, Monarch will display the "Position" (meaning column) number near the right side of the status bar at the bottom of the Monarch window.

Olly Bond

Hello Matixsnow,

Monarch will show you the column in which the trap character is being placed. For example, opening Classic.prn from the sample files, defining a template on the line:

CD      4  Bartok, Sonata for Solo Violin           MK-42625       8.99    35.96[/CODE]

... when editing the template to trap on the decimal character "." above 35.96, Monarch shows "Trap: Position 79" at the bottom of the screen.

Outside of the template editor, when you browse a report Monarch will indicate the Page in the same location.

In the table, if you want to capture the location of a record, then defining a calculated field using

Page()+(Line()/1000)[/CODE]

will give you references like 1.021, 2.073, which can be helpful when auditing or filtering out data from different sections of a report.

Hope this helps,

Olly

Data Kruncher

To get the row number of a detail record on the report, use a calculated field with only the Line() function as the field's expression in the Table window. It might not get you the exact row on the report that you're interested in, but it'll help.

• Re: Cursor Position in File
                  rlandeo _

Just to make sure matixsnow1 knows the difference, field positions are shown in Monarch, but not Modeler (the current version).

Olly Bond

Hello rlandeo,

Good spot. That's an annoying usability glitch - especially when debugging traps in large reports. I'll take that up with Development to try to get that fixed so things are clearer in both Report View and Report Design mode.

All the best,

Olly

rlandeo _

Hi Olly,

It just surprised me because an update usually adds functionality, not takes something away. A lot of our data comes in fixed-width with no delimiters and not having a cursor position makes me count out spaces, which would drive me insane. Would you know the contact information for Development?

Raul