7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:12 AM by FCallan _ RSS

Jet database error (3275)

FCallan _

Using version 9.01 Monarch. 

All of a sudden the exports of tables to .dbf files won't work. 

The error message is 'Jet database error: (3275).  Unexpected error from external database driver (8458).'  This happened with a colleague, my exports continued to work fine.  When I tried to do his exports for him on my machine, I got the same error and now none of my exports to .dbf work either.  Exporting to excel works.  Our IT dept have said there were no changes to external drivers etc.

We have re-installed Monarch to try and re-set whatever has changed but to no avail.

The paths the .dbfs are exporting to are not exceeding the limit of path size.

This error has come up before as I have googled it but there is no solid solution. 

Any help on this? :confused:  Our access databases import the .dbf files.

Thanks

Fiona

• Jet database error (3275)
          Olly Bond

Hello Fiona,

My hunch is that your colleague's model violates the field name or field length limits for the DBF format - has he chnaged anything? Can you see in the audit trail of the project & model information?

Best wishes,

Olly

FCallan _

Vielen Dank Olly.

I looked in the audit trail now further to your suggestion but nothing changed. 

Also, my own .dbfs corrupted after I tried to help him. Its as if i corrupted something on my pc by using his models and trying to export. I was just trying to see what the problem was as I thought initially it was a model error and I could help to fix it. 

Now my own models/tables also don't export to .dbf and I didn't change anything in the models. They worked the week before.

Fiona

FCallan _

Also, when I try to open a .dbf file to look at it in Monarch..file....open database...I get error OLE DB Internal Error: Unexpected error from external database driver (8458).

This must be connected to the export error.

I have also created a new model and table and tried to export that to .dbf, assuming the original is somehow corrupt and it doesn't work either, same error.

:confused::confused::confused:

Olly Bond

Hello Fiona,

Try the custom search: http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=017979669301925061066:c4v8ksw-llg[/url] as the forum software doesn't index three letter words like DBF

DBF seems fussy about field names longer than 10 characters, or with spaces in - does that help at all?

Best wishes,

Olly

FCallan _

It didn't work. 

I installed the fix from the link you sent:

http://www.wiki-errors.com/err.php?wiki=3275[/url]

but it didn't work.

There was nothing else there that helped.

I created new models with small field names and no spaces etc but the exports have worked for years and now suddenly they won't.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.:confused::confused:

I'm getting desperate now. I don't think we can ever fix this.:(

Steve Caiels

[SIZE=3]Hi Fiona,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Jet is the Microsoft technology we use(d) in version 9 ofMonarch.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]For monarch and Jet to talk to each other properly, it isimportant that all the components of the Jet system are at the same level.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Jet is used by many other applications, so it is more thanpossible that a totally unrelated application update has updated part of the MicrosoftJet data base engine that it uses, but left other parts alone.  We used to see this problem often withAutoroute updates for example – and that was a Microsoft application at the time![/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Please visit /SIZE[/FONT][URL="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]to make sure your Jet Database is looking OK. Unfortunately, Windows update will not always keep this in tip topcondition as it doesn’t always detect the fact that it is mismatched. Andsometimes, Jet will report it is OK, when close examination of the DLL versionswill reveal that it is not.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]As you can imagine, these issues can be tricky to track downand fix, but hitting Windows with as many service packs and updates as you canwill usually fix the problem.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]As an emergency fix, you may be able to export the data by going into "options->Export and Clipboard" and selecting one of the older file versions from the drop down.  This may impact performance and you will lose flexibility in the formatting opions, but should let you get the data out.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Regards,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Steve.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

FCallan _

Steve (and Olly)

Thank you so much for your advice, very much appreciated.

I have followed Steve's suggestions to the letter, the IT department updated all the Jet settings (hence the delay in response) and still no joy.  We are getting the same error message.

I also tried going into Export and Clipboard and choosing older file versions.

I think I am doomed to using excel exports forever now.

I tried to do the exports on another colleagues machine with old models and files so that there could be no corruption. This colleague has a license but never uses it. I got the same error so it does suggest a network or systems change that is affecting us all.

I will ask IT to update as many Windows packages etc, maybe we will strike lucky.

Any other suggestions are welcome, I do appreciate the time you are taking to help me and the enthusiasm is great, thanks.

Fiona