3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:12 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Using the same lookup multiple times in a model

MonUserCJ _

Hey all,

I have a data source that has these shorthand descriptor codes. There are 3 fields for these codes. I have a mapping from the codes to the descriptions. I want to use it for all 3 fields (they all use the same code mapping). It doesn't seem like I'm able to add multiple mappings of source columns to lookup columns.

Is there a way to do this? I can create three separate lookups with 3 copies of the mapping file, but I thought there might be a better way. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone can give.

Thanks.

• Using the same lookup multiple times in a model
          Olly Bond

Hello CJ

Is your source a report or a table? If it's a report, can you post a sample?

I've got colleague who does something similar in one of his projects - one model looks up a source once using one key, and again using a second - but he's not had to use multiple copies.

Best wishes,

Olly

MonUserCJ _

The source of the mapping is a report. It's confidential, so I'd rather not post it here, but it's basically like:

Code                         Description

ABC                          Green

DIJ                          Yellow

SOA                          Blue

/CODE

And then 3 columns I have in the table generated from the main report use the codes.

Column 1           Column 2             Column 3

ABC                   SOA                     DIJ

SOA                   DIJ                     ABC

/CODE

There are more code than that (not all codes have to be used on a row). But basically it just seems like there isn't a way to use one lookup to populate multiple columns that use the mapping--you have to create a lookup for each one.  That's what I did to get around it in the meantime. Any idea on how to do it in a more elegant fashion?

Olly Bond

Hello CJ

If you're trying to make a lookup from sample 2 to sample 1 in your post, then yes, you'd need three lookups, although you shouldn't need three copies of sample 1 to make these work.

There is an easier way, possibly, if sample 2 is a report. You can always export a table to a report as fixed width text if you need to convert it. Then you can use the multi column region to convert sample 2 to:

Column; Row; Value

1; 1; ABC

1; 2; SOA

2; 1; SOA

2; 2; DIJ

3; 1; DIJ

3; 2; ABC[/CODE]

From here, it should be easy to make a lookup to Sample 1 to bring in the colors as a single lookup.

HTH

Olly