3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:12 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Detail template interruped by blank footer lines

KEVIN KENNEDY

I created a detail template (51 lines with 98 fields), trapping on line 1. In some instances (within 100,000+ pages), the 51 lines are interrupted by 7 blank lines and a page break, then the header (templated) and an append (also templated). I am losing the lines that break to another page. I have Monarch Utility from years ago that as I recall can fix long lines, but can it strip out blank footer lines? Or, how else do I account for these? I can't trap the footers as they are blank.

• Detail template interruped by blank footer lines
          Grant Perkins

51 lines for a detail template sounds quite extreme in my experience and  overlapping pages certainly will not help. There are some tools and some  tricks around that will deal with extremes but this sounds like you may  have a report that is poorly structured as output and could defeat the  'clever' options.

If you can define the page header to be all  repeating lines at a poage change (assuming the repeating lines are  consistent) that might work in conjunction with a with a 'Data Block' field to trap any data fields that start near the top of the blank lines and continue over the page headers.

An  alternative would be to look at re-formatting the report before  attempting analysis.  Either using the Monrach Utility or, perhaps more  likely, Monarch to read the entire report in full lines, strip out the  unwanted lines then save as a new report. The next step woul be to  produce a model using the "new" more friendly report.

It's difficult to know what to suggest for the best approach without having a thorough sight of the report.

Grant

KEVIN KENNEDY

Well, I stripped out the blank lines, so I think the templates will work (there are more than one of this humongous buggers). The report is a master record print of bank accounts--about 6 or so pages per account, with data fields grouped and in three columns, each column showing field name and value. Not the best format as some records have additional (optional) data fields that I have to account for. Thanks.

Grant Perkins

Sounds like a good challenge.

Probably best to use brute force rather than seek elegance in the solution in such circumstances. Get something that works first and foremost. Seek an improved solution if it can be justified and if time ever allows the work to be done.

I'm thinking I would keep one eye on User Defined Functions and Linked Objects if I had  multiple similar templates/projects to create.

HTH.

Grant