9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:12 AM by RalphB _ RSS

Monarch Command Line

elginreigner _

Just received news that the command line arguments are being removed (v11 mostly gone). This was started in another thread, but thought this should be moved to not taint the other thread purpose.

What are you thoughts on this? How will this affect your future plan of Datawatch upgrades?

Personally, this will cause us to not upgrade or purchase future Monarch versions. We automate alot here via the command lines. The cost associated with Datapump is just too much for me to justify the software, let alone the cost of the server to host it.

• Monarch Command Line
          elginreigner _

Good News Everyone, the command line is still available. From what I have been told, the command still works with one exception. Previously, you could have mulitple instance of Monarch running from a command. Under v11, this was changed to one instance.

This still works for me.

Anyone else run Monarch via batches?

• Monarch Command Line
                elginreigner _

Hi Elgin,

See my response here:

http://www.monarchforums.com/showthread.php?4067-Monarch-11-and-Access-2003&p=18009#post18009[/url]

Gareth[/QUOTE]

Gareth, Thank you very much for the information.

• Monarch Command Line
                    Shutson _

We are currently implementing 11.6, Command line functionality is not available unless you purchase additional licensing for it, list $25,000 more.  Surprise to us as we have used Monarch for 20 yrs with command line functionality.  Unusual for a company to remove functionality from a product, they usually add functionality.  Not a happy customer here.

• Monarch Command Line
                        Olly Bond

We are currently implementing 11.6, Command line functionality is not available unless you purchase additional licensing for it, list $25,000 more.  Surprise to us as we have used Monarch for 20 yrs with command line functionality.  Unusual for a company to remove functionality from a product, they usually add functionality.  Not a happy customer here.[/QUOTE]

Hello Shutson,

The command line functionality is still there in 11.5 and above, and I don't think the licence key locks or unlocks it. The clause is there in the licence agreement to say that you can't use automation to control Monarch - since 11.5 - as Datawatch clearly want to move customers towards DataPump or Datawatch|ES. Once you've got 10 users of Monarch, these work out cheaper per user than desktop Monarch - I think the entry level server product is about $20,000, so you can look after the reporting requirements of a team for less than the cost of one licence for desktop automation. The functionality for automation in DataPump is much better than the COM/OLE automation available on the desktop version as well.

The bottleneck is often the customer's IT department, who have tolerated Monarch on the desktop for years and can be sniffy about being asked to support a new server product. In this sort of situation, sometimes the customer gets stuck on an old version of Monarch, or gets bounced into paying a (negotiable) premium for the automation licence if they really need, and both of these outcomes are unfortunate. I think even the most callous salesman would take little pleasure from pocketing commission on the $25,000, and would prefer to work with you and your colleagues on a sensible roadmap towards a proper, server-based, scalable and auditable enterprise installation of Monarch technology.

Best wishes,

Olly

• Monarch Command Line
                            Shutson _

No, it will not work without additional licensing, which we did not know about when we upgraded.  I couldn't figure out why our processes wouldn't run.  Expected all existing functionality to be there as in the last 20 years.  We are going to look at Data Pump but I believe it is a little too beefy for our needs and our ITS department will probably not go for it.  I hate to pay for a whole lot of functionality that will not be used but still need maintained.  I'm talking next week with people from Datawatch to determine how best to resolve this.

• Monarch Command Line
                                Olly Bond

No, it will not work without additional licensing, which we did not know about when we upgraded.  I couldn't figure out why our processes wouldn't run.  Expected all existing functionality to be there as in the last 20 years.  We are going to look at Data Pump but I believe it is a little too beefy for our needs and our ITS department will probably not go for it.  I hate to pay for a whole lot of functionality that will not be used but still need maintained.  I'm talking next week with people from Datawatch to determine how best to resolve this.[/QUOTE]

Hello Shutson,

Years ago there was even a DataPump Personal edition for about the price of two copies of Monarch Pro... Then there was BI Server, which was a "lite" version of Datawatch|ES, for about $10,000. Datawatch have over the years tried odd ways to bridge the gap between desktop and enterprise, but never much of a coherent strategy. Even Monarch Report Explorer took a very long time to die...

I think that it's probably a good thing for all of us customers that there is now a roadmap - I remember seeing a presentation nine months ago in Munich by Jon Pilkington, the VP of Product Development, and realising that it was the first time in ten years of working with Datawatch products that I'd seen anyone present a coherent plan. I've yet to get my hands on the DataPump/Datawatch|ES combined server product that I think has just been released as 11.8 (edit, this is released as 12.0, according to the press release) or thereabouts, but it sounds to me that it should offer a pretty good alternative to desktop Monarch for most users.

Best wishes,

Olly

• Monarch Command Line
                        rlandeo _

I'm running Monarch projects via Windows shell scripts and VBscript. I was also told that the command line is still available, but prohibited in v11.5 and after. I found out that v12 is coming out soon and a version of it will allow automation.

• Monarch Command Line
                            RalphB _

From what I understand, command line and scripting is still available in Monarch 11.5 and above.  You have to pay something like an additional $25,000 for it.  That would probably be the same for future releases.  If I wanted scripting for Monarch, I wouldn't wait thinking that Monarch 12 with scripting ability to be any cheaper.