4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:12 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Error: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

SaltyGary _

Good Morning. I work for a software company where our customers need to import data from one system into ours. Depending on their import file design we sometimes need to utilize Monarch to re-format the files before our process brings in the data.

A particular customer of our is using Monarch 11. When they kick off our import process we call Monarch and run their files against some *.xmods" that we created. Once monarch appears this message appears for only one second "Error: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined". We have been doing this for over 10 years with various versions of Monarch and this is the first we have seen this message. Anyone wish to take a bite?

Thanks - Gary Palumbo

• Error: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.
          Grant Perkins

Hi Gary,

Sorry, I'm not a programmer and I guess this work is something that has automation in it so codiing expertise would be valuable  .... but ...

Have you already done the usual web searches to see what comes up for the error message? If so can you eliminate the sort of issues that result from the search?

I think knowing that may help the programming folk on here and maybe speed up finding the solution during the holiday period when, I would guess, many people have their minds tuned elsewhere.

Grant

SaltyGary _

Hi Grant,

At this point I have searched the datawatch forums (not one topic) and googled it. The error does get some hits but with completely different software and completely unrelated to what we are doing. There is another person that is responsible for building the xmod files but she is on vacation. I was hoping that maybe this error was in some kind of know FAQ list. Also as a FYI we are using identical xmod files at other customer sites and they work fine. I am leaning to it being a environment issue for this customer.

Grant Perkins

Hi Gary,

The quick search I ran seemed to connect the error message to some sort of file linking error. It is, it seems, a general error message that is not related specifically to an application but the way the application is trying to connect to a file at a specific location.

Now that does not mean to say that my quick search uncovered all the possibilities that result in the error. I certainly don't recall seeing the message in the forum before. I'm not sure if that helps us here but it does seem to suggest that it is either nothing specifically to do with Monarch OR is related to something in the interworking of Version 11 with the latest developments in Windows, etc., etc.

However the error message appears on the 'net some time back and seems to be relatively generic.

I think the problem we might have in the forum is that the number of people represented who have programming involvement and V11 exposure may not be large and therefore the potential for finding relevant input may currently be small. If no one with the requisite combinations of skill and exposure has stumbled across the problem the response may be rather thin.

From what I have read so far the URI issue seems to realte to attempting to open a file using a reference that for one reason or another does not work.  The only way I can see this being a problem with a model file is if an external lookup is incorrectly directed (thoyugh it may have been correct when it was created).

If the process is being run through a project then the file references in the project file could have become incorrect.

Otherwise maybe it's a network issue but that's an area we may want to pass on to someone else!

Are you ion a posiiton to be able to openly discuss what the model (or project) does without compromising client confidentiality? We might need to look at that as a starting point.

Grant

Olly Bond

Hi Gary,

There are two points at which Monarch might look for an external file when opening a model. The first is if there are any elements of the model which are defined as to be imported from another model - like a filter definition, or a calculated field. You might find that your model has got a link even if you haven't defined it, that points to a Default model. If the model was developed on a machine where the Default model is in a different location than on the machine where the model is being run, you could get such an error. You can fix this by asking the client to delete the link.

Less likely, but possible, is that the HTML page that provides the default start view for summaries has got lost in installation, but I think that woudld only be a v10 problem.

Good luck, and happy holidays,

Olly