4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:12 AM by kbelli _ RSS

Wrong Record Copies from Summary

kbelli _

Just ran into something I haven't seen before:

I have a model with multiple summaries, and I regularly select data from each summary manually and paste it into an Excel worksheet. 

I usually select my data by placing the cursor in the upper left cell, and then hitting [SIZE="2"]CTRLSHIFTRIGHT[/SIZE] and [SIZE="2"]CTRLSHIFTDOWN[/SIZE].  This selects all data in the summary, and then I copy it with [SIZE="2"]CTRL+C[/SIZE], and paste it in Excel.

Today when I did this the first record failed to copy[/B].  I tried this a couple of times times thinking I had somehow failed to select the first row, and it continued to fail to produce the top record. 

I then tried copying a subset of the summary.  It again failed to copy the top record.  This time however, I noticed that it included a record on the bottom which I hadn't selected.  I tested this further and discovered that whichever cell or record I selected was somehow being offset down one record.  So if I copied record 4 somehow record 5 would be pasted[/B].  I tried copying the final record in the summary (hoping to maybe produce the first record), and nothing[/I] was pasted into Excel.

Irritating!

Eventually, in haste, I copied an entire column by clicking on the column header[/I], and this time the first record made it to Excel (along with every other record in that column).  I extended this by clicking on the blank space between the column headers and row numbers, and managed to copy all of my data including the first record.

This is weird.  I tested this on another summary in the same model, and I did not[/U] encounter the same problem.

So what's going on?  Why this one summary and not the other?  Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing? 

FYI, we recently upgraded to Monarch 11.03 from 10.5.  I had been using this summary for months without encountering this problem prior to upgrading.

• Wrong Record Copies from Summary
          Gareth Horton

Hi kbelli,

I was not able to reproduce this.

I suggest you get in touch with Technical Support.  You will need to provide a file and model that reproduces the problem.

A couple of questions:

What happens if you use CTRLA, then CTRLC to copy the entire summary?

Does this summary have anything out of the ordinary, hidden keys or any other more advanced formatting options?

What happens if you paste to Notepad, rather than Excel?

What happens when you change the setting for including field names as the first row in the clipboard options?

Thanks

Gareth

kbelli _

Hi Gareth!

Thanks for looking into this.  I know it's not a life-threatening problem, it was just particularly baffling. 

It looks like CTRL+A no longer does its usual function in Monarch 11 (which I did not know before today), but I did try the Select All button on the Home tab, and that appears to copy all records to the clipboard successfully.  Individual selections are still offset by one row though.

Notepad doesn't produce any different results than Excel.  I'm guessing that the wrong data is making it to the clipboard.

I tried the setting to include field names as the first row, and I had to laugh because it produced the field names as the top record and then proceeded to offset the record I selected by one.  So when I copied the first row I got headers and the second row as output.  (It seemed funny at the time.)

As far as I know the summary is only unique in that there are four keys, and the fourth is structured horizontally instead of vertically.  Your question made me curious, and I restructured that key to vertical, and the problem disappeared.  When I switched it back to horizontal the problem reappeared.

Actually, maybe it is a little more unique than that.  I tried rebuilding the summary from scratch, and I realized that I have two measures which make the horizontal layout for the fourth key a little trickier.  The active measure is set as "All, by key."  This seems to make a difference on the new summary that I created.  If I switch to a single active measure the correct row copies to the clipboard.  If I show both measures simultaneously the row is offset one when I copy it.

You know what I bet it is!  When you show only one active measure the field names take up a space of only one row.  When you switch to either "all, by key" or "all, by measure" the field header takes up a space of about two rows.  The summary could be getting confused about which row it's on.  As silly as this sounds, I do think this might be it.  When I set the active measure to "All, by anything" and select the first row, it appears as though I've selected a record about "Western Insurors of Nebraska" (which should be the first record).  Without selecting anything else, if I change the active measure to a single measure, the headers recede by one row.  When they do this however, my selection doesn't move (as displayed by the highlighted area in the summary) and it's now targeting the second record "Alan Dale Insurance."

This could also explain why restructuring the key to vertical fixed the problem because the headers reverted to a single row.

Can anyone recreate this?

Gareth Horton

Thanks kbelli,

Your detailed information has enabled me to quickly reproduce the problem, and it is indeed to do with the "all" options when using an across key.

We'll fix this in the next point release.

Best regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth!

Thanks for looking into this.  I know it's not a life-threatening problem, it was just particularly baffling. 

It looks like CTRL+A no longer does its usual function in Monarch 11 (which I did not know before today), but I did try the Select All button on the Home tab, and that appears to copy all records to the clipboard successfully.  Individual selections are still offset by one row though.

Notepad doesn't produce any different results than Excel.  I'm guessing that the wrong data is making it to the clipboard.

I tried the setting to include field names as the first row, and I had to laugh because it produced the field names as the top record and then proceeded to offset the record I selected by one.  So when I copied the first row I got headers and the second row as output.  (It seemed funny at the time.)

As far as I know the summary is only unique in that there are four keys, and the fourth is structured horizontally instead of vertically.  Your question made me curious, and I restructured that key to vertical, and the problem disappeared.  When I switched it back to horizontal the problem reappeared.

Actually, maybe it is a little more unique than that.  I tried rebuilding the summary from scratch, and I realized that I have two measures which make the horizontal layout for the fourth key a little trickier.  The active measure is set as "All, by key."  This seems to make a difference on the new summary that I created.  If I switch to a single active measure the correct row copies to the clipboard.  If I show both measures simultaneously the row is offset one when I copy it.

You know what I bet it is!  When you show only one active measure the field names take up a space of only one row.  When you switch to either "all, by key" or "all, by measure" the field header takes up a space of about two rows.  The summary could be getting confused about which row it's on.  As silly as this sounds, I do think this might be it.  When I set the active measure to "All, by anything" and select the first row, it appears as though I've selected a record about "Western Insurors of Nebraska" (which should be the first record).  Without selecting anything else, if I change the active measure to a single measure, the headers recede by one row.  When they do this however, my selection doesn't move (as displayed by the highlighted area in the summary) and it's now targeting the second record "Alan Dale Insurance."

This could also explain why restructuring the key to vertical fixed the problem because the headers reverted to a single row.

Can anyone recreate this?[/QUOTE]