10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by Dirk Schulze RSS

Monarch V9.01 Windows 7 32bit - Error Message

bmartuch _

I was previously using V9.01 on an XP machine and everything was fine.  We recently switched to Windows 7 and I'm having some problems.  I have a model that I built last year with an .xmod extension and when I use it on old input files(.txt), it works fine.  When I use it on a new file(.txt) with the exact same layout, I get an error message that says the input lines have exceeded 4000 characters.  When I press the "OK" button, it puts a bunch of garbage on the screen.

• Monarch V9.01 Windows 7 32bit - Error Message
          Olly Bond

Hello bmartuch,

Without admin access to your system, I don't know what might have changed, but you might be able to get a fix on it in Monarch.

Open the text file as a report, open your model, go to Options > Input, and select the options around "Ignore ASCII characters 0-31".

Files that come from Unix or other systems sometimes get mangled on their way to NTFS environments, but Monarch can usually cope.

If that fails, check out the Utilities in the Downloads section of Datawatch's website, and try doing something with MSRP to get rid of problem characters.

I think there might even be an option in Monarch Utility to wrap long text lines that have lost their line endings - let me know if you need more help.

Best wishes,

Olly

bmartuch _

Olly,

The more I look at it, the problem seems to be with the model.  It works just fine on older files but crashes on the new files.  Also, I open a completely different report and then opened that model knowing that it wouldn't select the data but it should at least open.  When I opened the model, it just crashed like it does every other time with the error message stating that the lines are too long.  I could re-create the model but I was hoping not to have to do that.

bmartuch _

Olly,

After I say 'OK' to the error message, this is what is displayed on the screen, only it is one continuous line that is probably 4000 characters long.

?????????????†††††††††††††?????????????‹†††††††††††††††††††††??††??????????††††††††††††††††††††???????????????????????††††††††††††††????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????††††††††††††††?????†?††??†††††††††††††††???/††????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????††?`??????????†††††

elginreigner _

Stupid question. Have you opened the new file? As Olly is saying, there's a chance the file is corrupt. Do you use Notepad++? I would open it in that to determine if something is truly wrong with the file. It sounds like your model works fine and its only this new report that is giving you an issue.

Dirk Schulze

bmartuch - I've been dealing with this same problem for the past several months.  I'm using Monarch Pro v9.01 on an XP machine and certain models keep giving me that same error code despite the fact that the lines in my text files are only 80 characters long.  In the past I've managed to work around it by saving my text file in one of the various encodings available in Notepad/Wordpad/Textpad such as Unicode or DOS or UTF-8.  Unfortunately one model in particular wasn't working this month.  I know my file isn't corrupt becuase I've used other models on it without any issues.  So I found your question this morning and, taking Olly's sugestion, I went to Input Options.  Under Report Translation I found my Encoding was set to UTF-16 LE.  I assume this is the default.  Anyway, I changed it to UTF-8 and my model now appears to be working.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for putting your question out there.  And thanks Olly.

elginreigner _

bmartuch - I've been dealing with this same problem for the past several months.  I'm using Monarch Pro v9.01 on an XP machine and certain models keep giving me that same error code despite the fact that the lines in my text files are only 80 characters long.  In the past I've managed to work around it by saving my text file in one of the various encodings available in Notepad/Wordpad/Textpad such as Unicode or DOS or UTF-8.  Unfortunately one model in particular wasn't working this month.  I know my file isn't corrupt becuase I've used other models on it without any issues.  So I found your question this morning and, taking Olly's sugestion, I went to Input Options.  Under Report Translation I found my Encoding was set to UTF-16 LE.  I assume this is the default.  Anyway, I changed it to UTF-8 and my model now appears to be working.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for putting your question out there.  And thanks Olly.[/QUOTE]

I have had to use outside text programs to correct the formatting in files as well. It was years ago I set it up, but I believe I did it for the same reason. I use wordpad to correct it.

Olly Bond

Hello everyone,

The MSRP and Monarch Utility both have the advantage of being automatable - so if you know you need to strip out all repeated characters with an ASCII value of 10 and replace them with \13\10 - you can include this preparatory step in your batch files and also call this from DataPump.

HTH,

Olly

Dirk Schulze

so if you know you need to strip out all repeated characters with an ASCII value of 10 and replace them with \13\10[/QUOTE]

Sadly, that information is over my head.  I'm not a programmer and I guess I know just enough to get by.  But I can tell you that I've been changing the Encoding field in Monarch as needed for the past day and have been able to work around that error code in every instance.  Life is good.  I wish I had found that field

about 6 months ago.

Olly Bond

Hello skinman,

I didn't mean to post anything cryptic - and I'm no programmer either. The point I was trying to make for anyone who stumbled across this thread was just that if you're faced with a report that's got really ugly formatting (and a common example is HTML files or XML files where the line breaks are gone) like this:

<table header_lines="1" ...[/CODE]

then you can convert this into something you can process in Monarch, using MSRP or MonarchUtility, and for the many readers of these forums who use Monarch "programmatically" by getting a script or another application to call Monarch, that this pre-processing can also be automated.

If you are happier opening up the report file each time, manually selecting the input options, and then working with your models, that's fine - but if you need to automate your work then there are other options out there.

Best wishes,

Olly