4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by RalphB _ RSS

    Username already in use

    Jont _

      I have installed Monarch PRO v10 (Network Version) on a server and 3 PCs. I have added a number of users through Monarch Pro License Administrator. When a named user tries logging on to a PC they get the following error message. User name already in use by another user. You must enter your own user name when starting a session.

       

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks

      John

        • Username already in use
          elginreigner _

          Is the same user logged into a different machine with a Monarch session open?

            • Username already in use
              RalphB _

              You will probably have to edit the Monuser setting in the registry.  When the workstation was installed, it more than likely set it to the network license name.  Change that to the individuals name that is set on the network and you should be good.

               

              You can find Monuser registry setting at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Datawatch\Monarch Pro\Settings.

               

              We have to do that everytime we switch network users.

                • Username already in use
                  elginreigner _

                  You will probably have to edit the Monuser setting in the registry.  When the workstation was installed, it more than likely set it to the network license name.  Change that to the individuals name that is set on the network and you should be good.

                   

                  You can find Monuser registry setting at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Datawatch\Monarch Pro\Settings.

                   

                  We have to do that everytime we switch network users.[/QUOTE]

                   

                  Does the network version attach the license the user?

                    • Username already in use
                      RalphB _

                      The network server has a file called Monuser.reg which contains all the users you have licenses f.or.  This is set up through the network server set up.  Most of the time whoever installs the workstation version just accepts the default user name and that is probably the source of the problem.  Whenever we switch network users at work, IT dept changes the user name on the server and then installs the workstation.  I end up going around to the new user and editing the Monuser registry to match their network name.

                      From what I've been told, Monarch 11 will be stand alone versions only, no more network or continuous user licenses.