5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by Kathi _ RSS

New Windows 7 machine (64 bit) problem - 10.5 pro

Kathi _

I am running a new HP laptop (EliteBook 8740w - 64 bit) with Monarch 10.5 pro.  I am having 2 strange problems which I would guess would be some kind of permissions issue but no one here can figure it out.  My problems are:

1.  When I make a change to a model, I can use Ctrl-S to save the changes.  It seems to behave normally.  However, when I exit Monarch, I get the message asking if I want to save the model.  If I say yes (assuming that I changed something else), then the message goes away.  But then Monarch doesn't close.  So, I close it again and I get the message again.  The circle continues until I say "No" and force the close.

2.  Exporting files - Many times I will export a file to my desktop so that it is readily available for attaching to an email.  When I try to export to the desktop, I can select desktop and then click Save.  It will flip to the listing of drives and forces me to go through the menus to get back to my user desktop and then it will export properly. 

Again, I am assuming that there is some setting, permission level, something that I am just doing incorrectly with this new system.  I was hoping that someone else had possibly had these types of problems and already knows the solution.  Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Kathi

• New Windows 7 machine (64 bit) problem - 10.5 pro
          mdyoung _

Hi, Kathi.

To help eliminate whether or not it may be a permission issue, try right-clicking on the Monarch Pro shortcut and select "Run As Administrator." Even though you may be setup on the PC as an administrator, Microsoft doesn't truly make you a REAL admin. Just one of many things I hate about Microsoft. Anyway.... If this works, you may want to check the "Run this program as an administrator" option located on the Compatibility tab of the Monarch Pro shortcut properties.

In case the above doesn't work, try setting the compatibility mode to Windows XP (SP3) on the shortcut's Compatibility property.

Hopefully, one of these suggestion will work for you.

Thanks,

Micheal

Kathi _

Thanks for the reply.  I've attempted each of the options separately and both together and it didn't seem to help.  Any other thoughts?

mdyoung _

Well. I installed v10.5 Pro on a Win7 64-bit system and was not able to reproduce issue #1. After making a change and using CTRL+S, it saved as it should and when I closed Monarch, I didn't receive any message to save. So whatever you're experience is beyond me at this point.

However, I was able to reproduce issue #2 on both 32 and 64-bit machines. When clicking Desktop and then Save, it actually takes you to the last folder listing prior to clicking on Desktop. For example: Click on "Libraries" icon first, then the "Desktop" will take you back to the Libraries listing. This is definitely a bug, but I'm not sure if it is a Monarch bug or a Microsoft bug in the Open/Close dialog control that Monarch uses. A workaround is to click on the Desktop icon twice before saving.

Thanks,

Micheal

RalphB _

Is your Windows OS and Office programs 64 bit or 32 bit versions.  Monarch 10.5 has problems with the 64 bit OS and needs to run under the 32 bit version.

We are in the process of Migrating over to Windows 7 and was having problems with 10.5 and Monarch tech support said we need the 32 bit Windows 7 & Office programs as Monrch 10.5 is a 32 bit program and requires the OS to be 32 bit also.

It doesn't matter if your pc is a 64 bit or 32 bit.  I have been running Windows XP & Monarch on a 64 bit machine for a few years now with no problems.

Kathi _

Just an update.  Our IT folks ran an utility on Monarch and we tried the save again.  I can now create/edit and save models again!  YEAH!

As for the exporting, I've found that it will work directly to the desktop without going through all of the menus to get to the desktop IF I add a folder to the desktop and save it there.  So, for ease, I created one and called it Monarch exports.  I can direct a desktop save to that folder and it will export without problems.  Also, if I save directly to a network drive, no problems.  It was only a problem directly to the desktop but this "export" folder seems to work as a work-around.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Hopefully I'm running smoothly again!