7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch 11 Character Count

MTEUser _

I've just upgraded to Monarch Pro 11 from Monarch Pro 9.  With version 9 when defining fields within a template it showed me at the bottom of the pane the lenth of the field as I was highlighting it.  It's not listed with the Line and Position in version 11 like 9, is it located somewhere else?  Hopefully it's there somewhere, I work with a lot of fixed length files and if I have to manually count the characters, I'm going to be in a world of hurt!

• Monarch 11 Character Count
          Grant Perkins

Now that's an interesting observation.

I guess since the information at the bottom of the screen is showing you the cursor position it would be possible to read the star point, add on the number of characters required to complete to the known field length and then simply drag across until you reach that point.

What I have found to be an effective way of working when I have a list of the fields expected, the correct order of presentation in the incoming document and their sizes is to set up a rough template setting the start position of each field and then use the Field List screen to enter the known values for width, type and so on.

If you are working with reports that are often similar to previously modelled reports you might fnd that copying an exiting model and modifying the field positions using the Field List could be a very quick way to get things working - perhaps you already do that?

This is probably not the answer you hoped for but with luck it will help you to get the result you need with the least pain.

Grant

DataExploiter _

i may be misunderstanding but as Grant stated, if you create your template you can then go to "table" then "field list". From there you can quickly key in the desired field widths for all fields if an adjustment in needed.

Still not sure why you need to see the field length while building the template. Would be interesting to know reason.  Good luck.

Olly Bond

Hello MTEUser,

I think that the functionality you're looking for is there in v11, just done better. Before v11, if you have the field list open, then you can't do anything else like scroll around the report to check for field lengths. In v11, the field list is available as a tab that you can float, so as you build your template you can also consult the field list. This works best if you have a dual monitor setup.

Hope this helps,

Olly

elginreigner _

i may be misunderstanding but as Grant stated, if you create your template you can then go to "table" then "field list". From there you can quickly key in the desired field widths for all fields if an adjustment in needed.

Still not sure why you need to see the field length while building the template. Would be interesting to know reason.  Good luck.[/QUOTE]

In the older version, its much simpler to get the field length correct when you can see the size of the field that is being created while you are creating it without having to edit the length of the field afterwards.

MTEUser _

On any given day, I do a number of one-time reports that I export to Excel.  I know that the part number field is 20 characters, the description field is 30 characters, etc.  It was just very convenient to have that count displayed instead of having to modify it in the field list.