9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Processes no longer running

BCS _

I have been running scheduled processes nightly for a few years now, and they have currently stopped working.  Even manually started processes will not run.  I try to manually run a process and get the message box saying it has been submitted, but it doesn't go into the process queue nor does it show up in the job logs.  Please help.  I'm running out of ideas.

Nothing has changed, although I did get one failed message while out of town that a process failed due to low disk memory.  I have cleared up the low disk issue, but still no luck.  Also, previously, the process ran and failed stating low disk memory.  Now, the process won't even start.

I'm using Data Pump Std version 9 on a windows 2008 server.

• Processes no longer running
          Olly Bond

Hello BCS,

In the Server Status settings, there should be jobs showing in the Process Queue Entries. If you Shutdown Pump then Startup Pump, these will run. This can be annoying if you have multiple jobs backed up that will conflict with each other (say, by needing to open the same source text file). I've asked Datawatch to see if there's a way we could flush the queue gracefully, either with a SQL command or perhaps from the interface of DataPump v11.

Hope this helps,

Olly

BCS _

Hi Olly, in the past, this has been my issue.  However, this time when I run the process, no jobs are showing up in the process queue at all. The processes aren't running nor are they hung up in the queue. I have shutdown the pump and restarted a few times thinking it had something to do with it, but still no luck.

Olly Bond

Hi BCS,

Is the service running? If so, then there's something odd. Have you contacted support?

Best wishes,

Olly

BCS _

Yep, service is running.  Tried support but got voicemail.  However, don't think they will help me much as my service contract has expired.  Man, this is frustrating, if you or anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks for the suggestions Olly.

Olly Bond

Hi BCS,

If no-one pays for maintenance, then no-one delivers support or invests in development, and we all end up missing out on better software Given that Monarch v11 has just come out, it's not rocket science to suppose that DataPump v11 will be along fairly soon, and it would perhaps be worth getting the services contract back in place and making a plan to upgrade to a version that is supported?

In the meantime, it's worth looking at the permissions and at the database. Are you running MSDE on the same server as the application, or connecting to SQL Server on another machine? If it's MSDE, perhaps some tables in the database are so full that it's hitting the data size limit (2GB if I recall correctly)? Now, in DataPump v10, it's easy to export the processes to XML, re-install DataPump cleanly with an empty database, and then re-import the process definitions. In v9, that's going to be a manual operation, which is a pain...

Best wishes,

Olly

BCS _

Hi Olly, I understand the detriments about not paying for maintenance, we normally have it but ran into some cash flow issues as I work for a small company and couldn't afford it...in the future we will be investing in it again.

Well, looks like reinstall is my best option.  I may have stumbled onto the problem when backing up, I got an error saying there was a problem with the workfiles\processqueue.xml file.  Think reinstall is going to be the only way to go?

Thanks again Olly, truly appreciate your assistance.

Olly Bond

Hello BCS,

Didn't mean to give you a hard time - was just trying to give you some ammunition to convince management they should invest We don't have v9 installed anymore, otherwise I'd gladly send you an example of a well formed processqueue.xml. Actually - hold on - drop me an email so I have your details, and I'll have a look on the server tomorrow at work and if I can get you an example of such a file (from v10, with no warranty) I'll email it to you. If it's just that the disk space problems led to that being corrupted, then it might help you get the machine back on its feet.

Best wishes,

Olly