17 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by KevinS _ RSS

Monarch shuts down when opening large files (though not for my coworkers)

Amadeus23 _

This seems to have just started recently, but when I open a Monach model and combine that with some large reports, it simply shuts down after 3-5 seconds.  These files are large, but not ungodly huge by any means.  When a coworker opens the same info on thier computer, it works fine.  This could be something within my computer itself and not Monarch, not sure.  Hoping I have accidently flipped a switch or setting in there somewhere.

I recently had trouble with other software Add-ons being disabled, like in Excel for example, may or may not have anything to do with this.

Pretty frustrating though.

Any ideas out there at all?

• Monarch shuts down when opening large files (though not for my coworkers)
          Joe Berry

This is a very difficult problem to solve.  It doesn't sound to me like a Monarch issue.  I would look at my computer first.  Try all of the following and see if there is any improvement.

Download all operating system updates

Download virus scanner updates

Run a complete virus scan

Run a spyware program

SigneOhSigne _

I would check video card, you might need a more powerful one here

elginreigner _

With you having add-on issues with Excel, which add-ons is it disabling or crashing on? I dont' see it being a Monarch problem, but it could be the Monarch install, the .NET install or something else this is corrupt.

Has this ever worked for you? How large are the files MB/GB? Are you and your coworkers running the same operatings system bitwise, 32bit vs 64bit? What version of Monarch are you using?

elginreigner _

I would check video card, you might need a more powerful one here[/QUOTE]

The video card would not be affected by this, the video memory required by Monarch is most likely very minimal.

I see in your avatar/sig you have the youtube converter listed. You may also like www.keepvid.com[/url] which only requires java installed and not a standalone program. It will also do video and audio extract from multiple sites.

Grant Perkins

The video card would not be affected by this, the video memory required by Monarch is most likely very minimal.

I see in your avatar/sig you have the youtube converter listed. You may also like www.keepvid.com[/url] which only requires java installed and not a standalone program. It will also do video and audio extract from multiple sites.[/QUOTE]

I suspect post 3 may be spam. Can anyone think of a reason for it not to be removed at some point?

elginreigner _

Grant, good catch. I didnt really even notice it, yesterday was a long day. I feel like an internet rookie now.

ARICE01 _

This is an interesting post and is somewhat similar to a problem I am having with crunching large files using Monarch 10.5.  Please tolerate a recent communication (below) that I shared with my Datawatch field sales rep, which highlights my problem.

A few updates for your information:[/B]

•         I have requested my corporate purchasing group to purchase a full version of Monarch 11 for my evaluation.  As such, I will be upgrading from Monarch V10.5 on my current laptop (Dell E6410).

•         My current laptop is a recent purchase and is running in Windows 2007 in 32 bit mode.  I am finding that Monarch runs extremely slow when processing large files.  I have install additional RAM and it does not seem to help very much.  Sometimes I have to wait for up to 30 minutes to run certain queries against large files, either stored on my hard drive or via ODBC link to SQL server Dbs.  Could you discuss this with your technical team and have them offer suggestions as how to improve the efficiency of Monarch against large files.

I am a long time Monarch user and it has served me greatly over the years.  As the features within the software has increased, Monarch has been an invaluable tool for data analysis and reporting.  The integration with MS Excel has further enhanced my data analysis and reporting capabilities.

If I can crack this poor efficiency problem, I will strongly advocate broader use of Monarch in our company.

Anything you can do will be greatly appreciated…

If anyone can offer suggestions for improving the speed and efficiency using Monarch to crunch large data files, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.

DataExploiter _

Hello

I use large files and never encountered this situation. For example i have reports looking up 5 external Access and Excel files with over 400,000 rows of data. What kind of sources are you using, text report with a lookup to excel files. How many rows of data, you can go up to 1 million.

John

ARICE01 _

Hello John:

Thanks for your response.  Your reply gives me much optimism.  I have problems when linking to SQL service databases with between 500,000 and 1 million records, usually closer to the 0.5million.  I did hear back from a Monarch technician and suggested I change my ODBC setting to "Performance", from "Compatibility".  This change seems to help with the initial data retrieval, but does not explain why I continue to have problems after Monarch has read the file and the data is "cached" in pc memory.

Are you crunching your data in "live" interactive mode, or using scripts, batch or command files?  I am not sure it the mode of access makes much difference.

Thanks again for your advice on this.

Al

DataExploiter _

Hi Al

My database tables sit on both the server and local hard drive.

Is there a way to copy the data locally or reduce the size of the database by reducing the SQL query size before opening in Monarch to fully analyze ? I would dump the data locally with a predefined query to reduce the focus. Save as a text file and then open in Monarch.

Just for the hell of it I just opened a data based query created in Access with 480,000 records, 52 fields. No issues for me. But the table was a local file.

I would keep asking Datawatch's internal sources.

There are many approaches you may use to reach your goals. 

Why not try create a permanent link to the SQL service data directly from MS Access. Then that live Access link is easily available within Monarch. Sounds convoluted but the link to MS Access is very reliable and may be more efficient and stable than a direct link from Monarch to the live SQL Data source.

Good Luck

elginreigner _

The age (SQL 2000 vs 2005/2008) of your SQL server software could affect the speed of the returned data. I access tables in SQL via Monarch that contain over 200+ million records on a SQL 2000 server. The issue is the size of the data being returned by the SQL query. To reduce your lookup times and possible timeouts, I suggest creating a custom view in SQL of the fields you only need, even if these are ad hoc lookups it could improve your effeciency drastically.

ARICE01 _

DataExploiter and elginreigner:

Both your responses are quite interesting and I want to try both options.  Regarding DataExploiter's recommendation (using MA Access Link), note that I recently upgraded to Monarch 11 (from 10.5) and during the software load, I decline the option prompt which asked if I wanted to install Acesslink (not sure the actual name).  I was not familiar with that feature so I did not install it.  Perhaps, with you recommendation, I should go back and re-install the upgrade and select that option.  Do you think that is a good idea?

Regarding special views, I will work with my developer to prepare a few for testing...

Thanks for both your suggestions.

KevinS _

I am having a similar problem regarding shut down. I have been using Monarch for some time and recently upgraded to 11.2. All my previous projects and models all work great, no problem.

I recently started work on a new report using a .csv file. I direct Monarch to the data source( File/Open/Database), in the Data source selection box I point to the .csv file I want to use and select next. Row definition shows columns as expected and shows a total of 792 rows. When I select next, I select all for which columns to import and select Finish. Every time, I get the Monarch has stopped working and only option is to restart program.  I am at wits end. I am attempting to get the update 11.5  I think, but don't know if that will help any.  Any suggestions?

Grant Perkins

Kevin,

That sounds odd. Are you working with the file locally on your machine? I assume so, but if not it might be good to do so to eliminate any network matters from the possible variables.

Might also be good to check that the file has a good and valid End of file marker. I have, once or twice, come across files that had no valid eof marker and that was not a good thing. I vaguely recall also one file that for reasons I cannot immediately recall had a last line that was something like half the normal length. That too was fun.

I seem to recal that the problems only appeared when actually processing the file. The selection and definition phase worked OK. Now what I can't remember was whether I ever attempted to parse the entire file (all pages) in the selecting and settings phase and if I did whether that displayed the problem. It was all a long time ago and several Monarch versions past.

This suggestion may also be completely off target but I think checking the nature of the file would be useful. You could try breaking it up into chunks as well and testing each chunk. Odd and possibly invisible embedded 'characters' or document control commands can have negative effects. As a CSV file a careful chop with a basic text editor (Notepad for example) would be best. Make sure you get full lines.

If it's nothing like that we will have to think again.

It it a file you can share? If so I could take a look at it. Let me know and I will provide an email address or some other option for file sharing.

Grant