23 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by kingpcgeek _ RSS

Monarch 11 Problems

ejohnson _

I'm having an issue with Monarch 11:

Using Monarch Upgrade from10.5. Uninstalled 10.5 after install of 11. I only have .net framework 4

Import PDF- Monarch works fine

Apply a model- Monarch works Fine

After clicking data view/field list the program stalls and will not continue to work.

So far I have:

1)Uninstall Monarch Pro and .net framework 4- and Reboot

2)Reinstall .net framework

3) reinstall Monarch Pro

4)Test-Failed

5)Run in XP compatibility mode- failed

Anyone else with this issue?

• Monarch 11 Problems
          elginreigner _

This was given to me for version 10.5 Pro, but locations shouldnt be too different if at all.

Here is a complete uninstall instructions I received via Datawatch (the location of the Monarch folder may be different depending on bit version 32bit/64bit):

1. Close all running applications.

2. Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

3. Choose “Monarch Pro” and then click the “Remove” button.

4. In Monarch Setup Maintenance program, choose the option “Remove”, and then click “Next”.

5. Proceed with the next steps and wait for the uninstall process to finish.

6. Once Monarch Pro is uninstalled, open the Registry Editor by selecting Start > Run and then type in “regedit”.

7. Delete the “Monarch Pro” folder located in the folders:

•HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Datawatch

•HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Datawatch

8. Delete the folder “Datawatch Shared”, located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\.

9. Delete the “Monarch” folder under C:\Program Files\.

10. Reboot the machine.

At this point I would completely uninstall .NET 4.0. Reboot your machine, then reinstall .NET 4.0[/B]

11. Reinstall Monarch Pro.*

• Monarch 11 Problems
              Chickenman _

Just received purchased copy of V11 Pro.

Do I understand correctly that there are release issues, and that further it cannot simply be installed but the steps outlined here must be followed?

CM

• Monarch 11 Problems
                  elginreigner _

I only received these instructions from support when I encountered a problem. By no means are these required, most users should experience no issue what so ever installing the upgrade/stand alone.

I usually put them on the forums when I see someone uninstalling Monarch for a possible corrupt file, this helps with cleaning out all the items installed.

• Monarch 11 Problems
                Gareth Horton

Hi ejohnson,

What's the status of this problem?

Have you contacted support?

Thanks

Gareth

I'm having an issue with Monarch 11:

Using Monarch Upgrade from10.5. Uninstalled 10.5 after install of 11. I only have .net framework 4

Import PDF- Monarch works fine

Apply a model- Monarch works Fine

After clicking data view/field list the program stalls and will not continue to work.

So far I have:

1)Uninstall Monarch Pro and .net framework 4- and Reboot

2)Reinstall .net framework

3) reinstall Monarch Pro

4)Test-Failed

5)Run in XP compatibility mode- failed

Anyone else with this issue?[/QUOTE]

• Monarch 11 Problems
                    ejohnson _

The support techs have been in contact with me quite often. So far this is what they have told me to do.

Environment:

Monarch 11 Trial installed on a Windows 7 32-bit machine with MS Office 2007 (with no Access) and Monarch v10.5.   All Monarch 11 pre-requisites were installed during installation.

Problem:

Monarch Trial hangs when activating Data View after opening a PDF file and a model created from v10.5.

• Importing a PDF file - OK

• Applying a model - OK

Suggested Solutions:

1.     Uninstall Trial version and .Net Framework 4.0.  Then re-install .Net 4.0 and Monarch Trial. - Still can't activate Data View

2.     Run in XP Compatibility mode - FAIL

3.     Uninstall Monarch v10.5 - FAIL

4.     Monarch Forums - no additional insight

Additional information needed:

1.     Enable the logging feature and send us the log file.  The log file usually begins with "MC".

Go to Start > Run and type Regedit.

In Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Datawatch\Monarch Pro\Settings

Right click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.  Change Name to "TraceLogLevel"

Right click on the newly created key and click Modify.  Set value data to 2, base should be decimal.

Create a new key again.  Right click and select New > String.  Change name to "TraceLogFolder".

Edit value by right-clicking on the key and clicking Modify.  Set value to a valid folder, e.g. "C:\Monarch Logs\"

Run Monarch, open PDF and model.  Activate Data View.

• Monarch 11 Problems
                        Gareth Horton

Hi,

Does the Data View work if you open any other files, say Classic.prn & Lesson10.xmod, or open a database / Excel file directly, or is it just this particular PDF and model.

Does the Data View work if you open the PDF and define a new model?

Thanks

Gareth

The support techs have been in contact with me quite often. So far this is what they have told me to do.

Environment:

Monarch 11 Trial installed on a Windows 7 32-bit machine with MS Office 2007 (with no Access) and Monarch v10.5.   All Monarch 11 pre-requisites were installed during installation.

Problem:

Monarch Trial hangs when activating Data View after opening a PDF file and a model created from v10.5.

• Importing a PDF file - OK

• Applying a model - OK

Suggested Solutions:

1.     Uninstall Trial version and .Net Framework 4.0.  Then re-install .Net 4.0 and Monarch Trial. - Still can't activate Data View

2.     Run in XP Compatibility mode - FAIL

3.     Uninstall Monarch v10.5 - FAIL

4.     Monarch Forums - no additional insight

Additional information needed:

1.     Enable the logging feature and send us the log file.  The log file usually begins with "MC".

Go to Start > Run and type Regedit.

In Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Datawatch\Monarch Pro\Settings

Right click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.  Change Name to "TraceLogLevel"

Right click on the newly created key and click Modify.  Set value data to 2, base should be decimal.

Create a new key again.  Right click and select New > String.  Change name to "TraceLogFolder".

Edit value by right-clicking on the key and clicking Modify.  Set value to a valid folder, e.g. "C:\Monarch Logs\"

Run Monarch, open PDF and model.  Activate Data View.[/QUOTE]

• Monarch 11 Problems
                            ejohnson _

No. I have tried that with support, and that does not work.

Hi,

Does the Data View work if you open any other files, say Classic.prn & Lesson10.xmod, or open a database / Excel file directly, or is it just this particular PDF and model.

Does the Data View work if you open the PDF and define a new model?

Thanks

Gareth[/QUOTE]

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                jandersoncpa _

Is anyone having issues with filters not working in version 11?  I have very large data sets being brought into models from .prn, .csv and .pdf files.  Filters work fine for fields imported from original report/source.  However, when I do external lookups to join data from multiple files, the filters do not work on the fields brought in via external lookup.  Help desk has not been very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided!

Jeff Anderson, CPA

CBSI

2985 Gordy Parkway

Suite 100

Marietta, GA 30066

(770)977-2402, ext. 203 (o)

(404)384-2377 (m)

Jeff.anderson.cpa@live.com[/email]

jeff@cbsihome.com[/email]

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                    elginreigner _

Checking now, I have a project that loads a few million records with 8 external lookups.

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                      Gareth Horton

Hi Jeff,

It's not a problem in general - I sanity checked just now using an external lookup with an MDB and filtering based on a field from that source.

You may have to try and provide the files to support to see if they can reproduce it - or see if you can replicate it on some sample files if the data is too sensitive.

It would be nice to know a few more details, such as:

Data types (Character/Memo/Date/Numeric) and sources of the fields (CSV/MDB/XLS/XLSX/XLSM/SQL DB) being imported and filtered on.

Filter expression / type of filter (formula-based, value based, compound)

Does the filter expression include a mix of report fields and imported fields? Just imported fields? Are the imported fields from one external source, or multiple external sources?

Is it based on a calculated field on imported fields only, or a mix of imported and report fields? Is it based on a calculated field on imported fields from different sources?

Is there a specific external source that provides the data where the filter does not work, or is the behavior the same across all external sources?

What happens if you remove external lookups and recreate them?

In what way does the filter not work - an error trying to apply it? an error trying to edit it? It is applied but has no effect on the rows displayed? It is applied but filters unexpected rows?

If you can't provide the files, looking at those sorts of areas will help support try and recreate the issue (as well as other friendly forum users), but having access to the files is always the best way to quickly find the cause of such an issue.

If you can at least provide the model, that will reveal a lot of the information as to the inner workings.

Thanks

Gareth

Is anyone having issues with filters not working in version 11?  I have very large data sets being brought into models from .prn, .csv and .pdf files.  Filters work fine for fields imported from original report/source.  However, when I do external lookups to join data from multiple files, the filters do not work on the fields brought in via external lookup.  Help desk has not been very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided!

Jeff Anderson, CPA

CBSI

2985 Gordy Parkway

Suite 100

Marietta, GA 30066

(770)977-2402, ext. 203 (o)

(404)384-2377 (m)

Jeff.anderson.cpa@live.com[/email]

jeff@cbsihome.com[/email][/QUOTE]

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                          kingpcgeek _

Overall I have been very disappointed in 11.  I know that a new user interface always draws complaints, but the disappointment isn't really from the user interface, rather the crashing, speed and overall ghosts in the machine.  I don't trust the data because weird things are happening. 

Many crashes when working with summaries.  In one instance it was two reports open at the same time, total of 300 pages.  Another time the source was a large SQL database table.  It crashed so much I couldn’t finish the summaries.  If I use 10.5 to finish the summary then 11 opens it fine.

The time that it takes to open the field list is much longer than 10.x, and I have not figured out a way to have it open in a useable format.  It’s always too narrow.  In general the program feels much slower doing regular task then 10.5. 

One time a calculated field in table view will show the correct data, but I go back to it and its all zeros.  No rhyme or reason.  I have noticed some oddities with regards to filters as well, but I don’t have the exact details at this time since I’ve pretty much gone back to using 10.5 on a remote desktop instead of 11 on my local desktop.

With regards to the user interface I don't like how I can't set the default open action.  Currently its project, but I want it to be report.  I also feel the the dialog boxes when clicking on the down arrow under filters, sorts, etc are too small.

FYI running I am running a Core i7 PC with 8 GB of ram and Win 7 x64 with 32bit Monarch.  The PC is not underpowered to run Monarch.

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                              LManzo _

I would have to concur with you on your impression of Monarch 11. Granted the new user interface has many upgraded and beneficial features (they'll take a few minutes to figure out and get used to). It's the performace and reliability of the new version over 10.x that I'm having a difficult time getting by.

The first day I used it, I discovered a problem with exporting to existing Microsoft Access DB files. If the existing DB has additional fields not defined in the exported data file, the wrong fields may be populated. Version 10.x ignored any fields not defined in the exported data and disregards the field order. Monarch 11 will either export to the wrong field or abort without providing a reason, only 'export failed'. (Secondary Support indicates it's a bug and is to be worked on.)

The program is also inconsistent with automated exports from the command line (/pxall). Sometimes it would export, others it would open the project, appear to be exporting, but then closes without doing so. Running the exports manually works without error, but not through the command line. (Seconday Support could not reproduce the problem... still trying to figure out why it won't in my environments... 10.1 works just fine and consistently. Guess I'll keep trying.)

My current and most critical complaint is with getting 11 to open large (but not overly complex) projects designed in 10.1. The program does not hang or abort, but is obviously stuck in a loop at 'Computing calculated fields.' showing 6% completed for the last 24 hours. The problem occurs both on a stand-alone Windows XP machine (that did not have a previous version of Monarch installed) and on my lap top which had an older version installed. I don't think either is underpowered for Monarch. (Still waiting a response from the help desk.)

Lastly, this is not a bench test by any means, but the overall performance for projects that 11 can open that were designed in 10.x, appear to take approximately 33% longer to open.

Not sure if anyone would have any suggestions or recommendations on getting 11 to work better, but thought I'd post my experiences here in case someone else was having the same frustration.

Thanks

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                  Chickenman _

I must agree with kingpcgeek and LManzo - this "upgrade" brought very little by way of enhancements to the program (ribbon interfaces are WAY overrated IMNSHO) and made it dreadfully slow and frustrating to work with, so much so that I am in the process of downgrading back to 10.5; and I also share the vague feeling that the results are not reliable and feel this version is effectively unusable.

CM

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                      DataExploiter _

Hi Chickeman

I initially felt the same about V11 but have been slowly converted realizing some improved benefits from V11.

For example the results are working fine but like the filter issue for some models it was only the result of bad external lookup that worked fine in older versions but may not be working with V11. V11 was not providing a clear error with the filter unless the external lookup button was reviewed.The results I tested are100%  accurate in V11.  For me it took time to start benefiting from all the improved summary functionality ,  improved drilling with hieratical view button, formatting /viewing that improves my analysis.

At first I was very disappointed but soon realized for me I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks and those tricks have added value to  my data analysis. Yes I've been using Monarch for over 16 years. Okay maybe closer to 20.

For me, it took a long time to realize Lotus 123 for DOS was not the future of spreadsheet development. Really i was convinced Microsoft Excel would neve make it and when Apple was 3 a share in 1997 backruptcy was inevitable. Who would waste their time writing applications for Apple i thought convincingly.

Good Luck

John

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                          kingpcgeek _

I would like to comment on one of the UI changes that makes a simple task much longer to accomplish.

I had a calculated field I need to duplicate 11 times for the 12 months of the year.

Monarch 11:

1. Click on the tiny drop down arrow next to Calculated Fields on the ribbon

2. Click on the field I want to duplicate

3. Click duplicate

4. Erase the name from the field since I don't want the field named the same with a 1 after it.

4. Type the name of the field

5. Make a change to the calculation

6. Save

7. Repeat 10 more times from step 1 (the tiny arrow part)

Monarch 10.5 and earlier:

1. Click on the nice big calculate fields button

2. Click on the field I want to duplicate

3. Click the duplicate button

4. Type the name of the field

5. Make a change to the calculation

6. Save

7. Click duplicate ( I don't have to scroll through a list, it has the last record already selected.)

8. Start with step 4 again for 10 more times

I thought ribbons were supposed to be time savers?

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                              elginreigner _

I thought ribbons were supposed to be time savers?[/QUOTE]

It looks like you're doing one lesss step with your listing.

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                                  Joe Berry

Elgin,

I think you missed the number of steps.  In v11 you must repeat all of the steps for each duplicated field.  In v10.5 you need only repeat the last five steps for the duplicates.  I agree with kingpcgeek, there are some things that are much easier and intuitive in v10.5. [B][/B][/U][URL="http://www.monarchforums.com/member.php?461-kingpcgeek"][/URL]

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                                    kingpcgeek _

It looks like you're doing one lesss step with your listing.[/QUOTE]

It is not less steps.

10.5 it is 47 steps (7 for first duplication and 4 x 10 for the next 10 duplications)

11.0 is is 66 steps (6 x 11 duplications)

I might add that I submitted a bug on September 24th.  This bug was creating random summary results every time I loaded the same exact reports.  10.5 works perfectly with same exact data.  It is now October 19 and there is no resolution to the problem.  Against my better judgement I offered to provide the confidential reports and SQL table so this very bad bug could be corrected.  On the 12th support told me they would get back to me on whether they could handle the MS SQL table. Have not heard a word since.

Quite frankly after seeing the random data results I am afraid to use 11.

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                                        Gareth Horton

Hi everyone

The 11.03 update is now available:

http://www.monarchforums.com/showthread.php?3989-Monarch-11.03-Update-Now-Available-For-Download&p=17683#post17683[/url]

This may resolve the issues you are having with the 11.00 release.  If not, then please contact Support to ensure we can research and solve the issue.

For some of you, I have seen that Support has already resolved your issues, for others we cannot trace a call for you, so please contact support including a link to this forum post.

If you would like to contact me directly via a Private Message, please feel free to do so.

Thanks

Gareth

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                                            kingpcgeek _

11.03 seems to have corrected the issue I had with Support Call 01AC019158.

Can't speak to speed improvements just yet. I can tell you it seems like bringing up the field list seems to have gotten worse.  Same report and model.  11.03 takes 23 seconds, 10.5 takes less then a second.

Really dislike that I had to hunt for my registration code and then registration number to install a patch and then had to activate the product.   I know that 11.03 wasn't a patch, rather a whole new version, but it should look for old info so the user doesn't have to jump through hoops.  Takes me back to Office 2000 days when you had to enter a CD code to install SP2.  Not good manners.

• Monarch 11 Problems
                                                            DataExploiter _

I strongly believe your filter issue is as follows. Check the external lookup to other data sources like an MS Access table. I'm sure you may need to delete the external lookup and reset with a fresh no link from scratch.

Select the external lookups button and one of the external lookup sources will appear in red. But this is most likely the only indication you have an issue with the old model working fine in older version and NOT in V11.Your filter in V11 won't show an error and will allow you to select but won't return the same results provided using the older version of Monarch.  I suggest delete the lookup appearing in red save the file and create a new external lookup pulling in the fields you need. Your filter should work  fine.

Good Luck

John