12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2016 11:09 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Arrange output fields in Summary

javacafe _

Hi;

I have a model to summarize total number of working hours based off of weekending date. The measured field is always at the end of summarized output; so I have to use another model to arrange the output columns; I wonder if there is any way to re-arrange the output columns in summary step so I don't have to do 2 models

Here is the layout of summarized table:

Emp_ID  First_Name   Last_Name  Weekending  Hours

and I'd like the output fields order like this:

First_Name   Last_Name   Weekending   Hours  Emp_ID.

Thanks in advance

• Arrange output fields in Summary
          Olly Bond

Hello javacafe,

Yes. In the summary, where I presume is a key field, the and are item fields, and Sum() is a measure, simply create a new measure based on with the Calculation tab set to Unique(. Then right click in the left hand column (the key version of ) and in the Display tab set this to "Hide the key column".

Note, this works only for strictly numeric as you can't use a character field in a summary measure.

Best wishes,

Olly

javacafe _

Thanks Olly;

Unfortunately the Emp_ID is character field so there's no way to accomplish this in one step; right? If you have any other suggestion; that would be appreciated.

Regards

Olly Bond

Hello javacafe,

Reprogramming the HR system to use numeric Emp_IDs would be one solution But no, I guess Monarch shows Keys then Items then Measures in that order because that's sort of logical for how people will read the data later. I'd naturally assume, faced with strange data, that the right hand columns were the totals.

In the short term, there are plenty of easy ways to automate a two stage process to deliver the results you need - do let me know if you need any help or pointers with that - and in the longer term, if you think that it might be useful to show character fields as measures or to have freedom to display summary columns in any order, perhaps it might be helpful to post something on the Future Features thread at the top of this forum?

Best wishes,

Olly

javacafe _

Olly;

Thanks for your quick reply and suggestion; This matter isn't a big deal for us right now; using Monarch is just one step in our complex automated billing-payroll system; Emp_ID field is just an example; I have a lot more fields (various data types)  that wanted to display after measured field and we have another process (written in C#) to manipulate data before going to next process. I'm just wondering if Monarch allows reorder columns in Summary window as in Table window.

Thanks again for your help Olly.

Grant Perkins

I think you have it right with the process you already have in place to re-order the columns once the summary has been exported although there may be a case for allowing this sort of functionality as part of the export process.

Up to that point the summary is actively re-calculating measure values based on the key fields and the way they are aggregating. If you are using Item Fields there is a similar grouping effect in play but without the multi-level value calculations. Therefore it is logical that the measures are placed at the end of such a display since they are the result of the combinations and easier to read in a consistent order when digging out results.

Once the results have been 'frozen' the order of the columns may be of less consequence to the reader so re-ordering on export, providing that would not compromise any other features of the export process, would seem to be an option worth considering.

However if you run any automation, such as a batch file, adding the routine to take the export output and re-order the columns should be quite simple and quick and maybe even less work than interacting at the time of export. Perhaps it is even more flexible than building specific functionality into the export process.

HTH.

Grant Perkins

RalphB _

If you are exporting out to Excel you can try to set up a spreadsheet that has the columns in the order you want and export out to that.  Monarch will put the data in the order of your spreadsheet.  Just be sure and name all the columns in the spreadsheet the same as in Monarch.

• Re: Arrange output fields in Summary
                        albert harari

Olly,

based on your instructions it would seem there is a way to move measured columns before key columns in a summary...can you please elaborate on how to accomplish it?

i have a measure column in a summary that i need to move from the last column of the summary to the third to last column (ahead of 2 key fields), but there is no way that i know of to move it.

i tried using your instructions on changing the measure to unique but i must be missing a step.

thanks

albert