17 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

Monarch 11 Trial Bugs - Testing

elginreigner _

This may or may not be the best place for this but thought I would state my testing for future reference my pros/cons for those looking to upgrade[/B]

Not sure if this is due to it being a trial or running side by side with 10.5 pro.

Keep in mind I have not done the new lesson plan yet, as it may cover new settings I'm unaware (I see none that I could find).

Boot up is very slow compared to 10.5 pro.

I cannot customize the quick access toolbar, only option is to move ribbon or minimize it.

When doing 'Autosize columns' in the data view, it sizes the columns to the size of the column heading and not the data anymore.

If I double click in between fields (like in Excel), the field on the right of the pointer keeps getting bigger by increments of 2.

It has crashed 3 times already in a 30 minute period.

There is no control over external lookup data types that I and other users have asked for.

Other than making it look pretty, adding full 64bit support. I see no new feature or fix. The level of quality on this version is subpar.

As stated earlier, I still have the lesson plan to go through, however, at this time I will not be upgrading.

Anyone else have inputs on this?

• Monarch 11 Trial Bugs - Testing
          elginreigner _

The weird issue I was having where the trapped data at Monarch page breaks was not visually showing that it was trapped, now does.

Also, overlapping traps visual show as overlapped, very nice.

It is more stable, projects I have that I know 100% cannot be run during the day, load and export without issue.

elginreigner _

When opening existing projects (all created in v8 through v10.5), Monarch just opens as if it's empty. Once loaded, I have to manually browse to the project to open it.

elginreigner _

I've just come across an issue that will definetly prohibit me from upgrading. I will uninstall 10.5 to confirm but if so, this version was NOT tested. As every normal Monarch user knows, when Monarch expects tabs or field name to be present it will let you know. If it's a tab, it will state the tab cannot be opened, if it's a field as you go through the database wizard it will tell you which fields are missing as they were expected.

I have tested both possible errors, and both crash Monarch with 'An unexpected error occurred while building the data view' . While an improvement on the usual Monarch error of 'Monarch' and an OK button, but still in no way better.

Olly Bond

Hello Elginreigner,

I'm surprised to hear that you're experiencing these issues - and suspect that having v10.5 and v11 on the same machine might be at least part of the cause. Can you get access to a second machine to try v11 on its own?

You mentioned that there weren't any new features other than making it pretty - and I think that's a little unfair on the developers Yes, the interface is new - a great improvement on the grey screen that Monarch used to open with - and while you still have the concepts of Report, Table and Summary, it's much easier move between them. Having the field list as a resource that you can use without navigating away from the data is a massive breakthrough, and the improvements in speed, the size of data Monarch can handle, and the updated graphs are all helpful, and I'm looking forward to using the XML export option to experiment with delivering financials in XBRL.

In the meantime, if you do find bugs after you install it without 10.5, then I'm sure the our friends at Datawatch would like to hear about, and so would I. If you can drop me an email with the report in this format:

BUG REPORT

PRODUCT:

BUILD#:

CATEGORY:

REPORTED BY:

DATE:

BUG TITLE:

BUG DESCRIPTION:

COMMENTS:

then I'll make sure that it gets chased up, and then everyone can benefit from the fix.

Best wishes,

Olly

elginreigner _

Hey Olly

Yea it is a little odd to get these errors, I usually have next no issues with it. I'm leaning on the dual install as causing the issues. As for the "making it look pretty", I don't see it being unfair to the developer. I am a developer, its not an insult in my opinion but a compliment, making it look pretty and being functional is difficult, I like the way the new Monarch looks. I basically have 25 days left on the trial, I need to weed out any issues on my end to get the upgrade approved.

So far the biggest benefit I see, is it's stability, it's been vastly improved. I also like the feature for projects with multiple external look ups, it states which lookup it is on and how far into the lookup.

I've gone through a few lessons on my system at home, did not run into any issue yet.

PS: I can be harsh on Mondays, computers are always trying to start a revolution on Mondays

elginreigner _

Upon uninstalling all Monarch, I noticed Monarch 11 uses .net 4.0. Having multiple .net framework installed can cause issues. I have removed 3.5 .NET, both versions of Monarch and re-installed Monarch 11. So far, it's better but no by much. Monarch no longer errors when files are missing, it states what's missing, but still errors when the tab is missing or misspelled. When opening existing projects, again, I have to browse to them.

Has anyone else tested the trial? I'm starting to believe the trial may be a lesser version of the complete package with features missing. This would be acceptable as it's common, but also makes it difficult to understand if this version will benefit me.

elginreigner _

I have sent a request to Support to get these questions answered.

elginreigner _

Installed in an XP machine that's never had Monarch. Same issues.

Good news, support has already responded. This is exciting, a new version and support reponds quickly now. Can't wait to get these issues fixed and to move forward. Again, I think it may come down to just the trial. If so, my upgrade order will be placed by the end of the week.

Joe Berry

I too have used the trial on one of my systems.  I have both 10.5 and 11 installed.  I also have multiple .Net versions. 

I cannot customize the quick access toolbar.  I figured that this was left out of the trial.  A nice new feature.

As far as speed, I have timed it against one of my projects with an external look-up and found that 11 is faster.  Not a scientific test by any means, but on one project, on one system is is 33% faster.  All others feel faster, but most of my projects run quickly in 10.5. 

I like the interface changes.  I still feel a little clumsy, but with time the changes will become more fluid.  Just having the field list side-by-side with the data and native 64 bit is enough for me to upgrade.

I have not explored this version to its fullest yet, but so far I have not been disappointed.  I want to read the guide and do all of the lessons before my 30 days is up.

elginreigner _

Joe

Thanks for the input. I'm starting to think all of my issues may just be options missing from the trial edition, just waiting on support with their findings to confirm.

I too was clumsy with the interface upgrade, I've done so much testing on it in the last 24 hours, i'm getting very good at it.

Gareth Horton

Hi Elgin,

I've listed my responses below - and consolidated the points from your other posts:

This may or may not be the best place for this but thought I would state my testing for future reference my pros/cons for those looking to upgrade[/B]

Not sure if this is due to it being a trial or running side by side with 10.5 pro.

Keep in mind I have not done the new lesson plan yet, as it may cover new settings I'm unaware (I see none that I could find).

Boot up is very slow compared to 10.5 pro. /B

---I'm afraid we have optimized the startup speed about as much as we can.  This is a side-effect of using WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation).  We have used all the techniques available, including loading system fonts in parallel in the background, putting strongly named assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache, creating Native Images etc, but it is still going to be slower than using the old Windows graphics APIs.  Ensuring your graphics drivers are up to date is tremendously important for WPF performance - also remember to refresh your Windows Experience Index if you are on Vista or Windows 7 after a driver upgrade.

[URL="http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jgoldb/archive/2007/10/10/improving-wpf-applications-startup-time.aspx"]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jgoldb/archive/2007/10/10/improving-wpf-applications-startup-time.aspx[/URL]

I cannot customize the quick access toolbar, only option is to move ribbon or minimize it.[/B]

-

You can customize the toolbar by right-clicking on a command and adding it to the QAT.  However, there is only a subset of commands available for this (for technical reasons) so it would be better to provide a list of candidate commands to choose from, rather than hunting around in the UI.  This will be done in the next point release.

When doing 'Autosize columns' in the data view, it sizes the columns to the size of the column heading and not the data anymore. /B

-

Both V10.5 and V11 use the column heading and the data to determine display width.  They do have slightly different algorithms for producing the most appropriate display width but are usually no more than one character different.  If you notice any specific problems, then let me know. I'll need a report and model, plus information on your screen resolution, font size and any pertinent information on the sizing of windows to try and reproduce it and see if any improvements can be made.

If I double click in between fields (like in Excel), the field on the right of the pointer keeps getting bigger by increments of 2.[/B]

-

This is a bug and will be fixed in the next point release.

It has crashed 3 times already in a 30 minute period.[/B]

-

I will need to contact you about this to try and find the cause.  I will be writing another post about Monarch 11's new tracing functionality, which will be helpful when we try and track down the problem.  Also note that Monarch 11 (as well as Monarch 10.5) is wired in to Microsoft's Error Reporting system, which means we can log in and check out crashes and collect crash dumps etc.  So if you do encounter a crash, please agree to send the information to Microsoft. 

There is no control over external lookup data types that I and other users have asked for.[/B]

-

Just to clarify, the data types can only be edited after the data has been imported.  Changes to the data type are then stored in the model and will be respected when you apply that model again.  There are, however, limitations on this:

In V10.5 and V11, fields imported from XLSX or delimited text can be edited. 

For other types, in V11 if the field’s original type is Character you can edit it.

In V10.5, if the field’s original type is NOT Character you can edit it.

In the next point release, we will try and change the behavior to whatever the original type, you can edit it. Monarch will do it's best to convert the character value.

When opening existing projects (all created in v8 through v10.5), Monarch just opens as if it's empty. Once loaded, I have to manually browse to the project to open it. /B

-

This is a limitation of the trial, since the command line export functionality is disabled in the trial, the side effect is that when you doubleclick on a file that Monarch has associated with it, the command line that is sent is simply ignored.  Note that you can drag and drop projects onto an open instance of the Monarch 11 trial.

...when Monarch expects tabs or field name to be present it will let you know. If it's a tab, it will state the tab cannot be opened, if it's a field as you go through the database wizard it will tell you which fields are missing as they were expected.[/B]

-

I need a little more clarification on this, perhaps when I get in touch regarding the crashes I can get a better picture of the problem here.

Thanks

Gareth

elginreigner _

Gareth

You are the man. You answered everything I need to determine if my system was causing issues or if it was do to the trial, and you even covered the bugs. Excellent feed back. This is what I needed.

I have sent examples of my missing tab issue to support. They are currently working on it, but I really believe it may be related the trial version only.

You have made my day, thank you.

System Crashes: This was due to side by side installs, with many different .net versions. Once I cleaned it up to one version, all is well. /B

elginreigner _

Small missing features (again, trial version only may be affecting this):

When I set up a new field, tabbing from attribute to attribute, the value is no longer highligheted, cause me to having to highlight and delete the value, or to backspace (text input boxes only) (this is big for me, I'm big on keyboard shortcuts)

When sizing a field, I no longer see field size in the bottom right, tells me starting position but on during the start of the field

There is no default template type selected (more of a nuissance, even first template you must specify)

Cool added features:

The tabs across the top to easily jump from report to table view to summary, etc. Excellent addition.

cferguso _

I just downloaded and installed v11. The first thing that I noticed was that I got a different result in v11 than I did in v10.5 for a calculated field?  The v10.5 is correct.

Could it be because the project was created in v10.5?

I am in the middle of a important project so I am going to stick with 10.5 for now.

Gareth Horton

Hi,

Could you send me a private message with your e-mail address?  I'd really like to be able to get hold of your files and see if we can reproduce the issue.

Thanks

Gareth

I just downloaded and installed v11. The first thing that I noticed was that I got a different result in v11 than I did in v10.5 for a calculated field?  The v10.5 is correct.

Could it be because the project was created in v10.5?

I am in the middle of a important project so I am going to stick with 10.5 for now.[/QUOTE]

elginreigner _

Hello Elginreigner,

I'm surprised to hear that you're experiencing these issues - and suspect that having v10.5 and v11 on the same machine might be at least part of the cause. Can you get access to a second machine to try v11 on its own?

You mentioned that there weren't any new features other than making it pretty - and I think that's a little unfair on the developers Yes, the interface is new - a great improvement on the grey screen that Monarch used to open with - and while you still have the concepts of Report, Table and Summary, it's much easier move between them. Having the field list as a resource that you can use without navigating away from the data is a massive breakthrough, and the improvements in speed, the size of data Monarch can handle, and the updated graphs are all helpful, and I'm looking forward to using the XML export option to experiment with delivering financials in XBRL.

In the meantime, if you do find bugs after you install it without 10.5, then I'm sure the our friends at Datawatch would like to hear about, and so would I. If you can drop me an email with the report in this format:

BUG REPORT

PRODUCT:

BUILD#:

CATEGORY:

REPORTED BY:

DATE:

BUG TITLE:

BUG DESCRIPTION:

COMMENTS:

then I'll make sure that it gets chased up, and then everyone can benefit from the fix.

Best wishes,

Olly[/QUOTE]

Olly, I tried the XML export. It's awesome, have one client who's been asking for xml output. Disapppointed I cannot import an XML database (I use it as a report for workaround) but very pleased with the output.