3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Double Appends yeilding unexpected results... is there a work around?

Aoiree _

Hello,

Sorry if this has been addressed already. I've tried searching around with a few different search queries but haven't seen an answer as of yet. I imagine this isn't that rare of an issue for it not to have come up as of yet.

I'm running a fairly simple set of templates with two Append Templates and the Detail template.

A sample of how my raw data appears is provided below. (Note: The actual number of "Detail" and "ID#" fields vary per "Cust#")

Cust# (Append Field)

-ID#_a (Append Field)

--Details_v (Detail Field)

-ID#_b

--Details_w

--Details_x

-ID#_c

--Details_y

-ID#_d

--Details_z

repeat for next Cust#

I expected that template would gather data as follows...

Each "Details" would be assigned the most recent "ID#" and the most recent "Cust#" yielding information as such...

Details_v , ID#_a , Cust#

Details_w , ID#_b , Cust#

Details_x , ID#_b , Cust#

Details_y , ID#_c , Cust#

Details_z , ID#_d , Cust#

The first instance of "Details" pulls just fine. However each additional "Details" field appears to select an "ID#" pseudo-randomly if there is more than one occurrence of "ID#" after the "Cust#" and prior to the "Details" being looked at.

Is this a known issue when trying to utilize two Append Fields in Monarch V8.1?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

• Double Appends yeilding unexpected results... is there a work around?
          Olly Bond

Hello Nick,

There's certainly no known issue in handling more than one Append in v8 - the idea of an append has been around, as far as I know, since v1 and is sort of fundamental to how Monarch works, so I'd expect we'd have heard about it here! But if you're worried that might be the cause, you could try (as long as there aren't more than 254 lines between Cust# records) setting the Cust# record as a Page Header template instead.

Monarch should fetch the lowest matched Append template for each Detail. So my hunch is that the trap conditions for the ID template might need checking. Are they all highlighted with carets > in the left hand margin of the report window?

Are any of these templates multi-line, and so possibly causing conflicts with each other or with natural page breaks? Can you post a sample in CODE tags?

Best wishes

Olly

• Double Appends yeilding unexpected results... is there a work around?
              Aoiree _

Hello Nick,

There's certainly no known issue in handling more than one Append in v8 - the idea of an append has been around, as far as I know, since v1 and is sort of fundamental to how Monarch works, so I'd expect we'd have heard about it here! But if you're worried that might be the cause, you could try (as long as there aren't more than 254 lines between Cust# records) setting the Cust# record as a Page Header template instead.

Monarch should fetch the lowest matched Append template for each Detail. So my hunch is that the trap conditions for the ID template might need checking. Are they all highlighted with carets > in the left hand margin of the report window?

Are any of these templates multi-line, and so possibly causing conflicts with each other or with natural page breaks? Can you post a sample in CODE tags?

Best wishes

Olly[/QUOTE]

ID# and Details are both multiline. However pagebreaks in the data do not occur such that it will split up an entry. Everything that needs to be shaded appears to be shaded.

Headers do not appear to work for this... I could be wrong but I haven't played around with these too much.

What are the CODE tags requested?

I'm looking at an example right now on a single page.

Pagebreak

Cust#

-ID#_1

--Detail_1

--Detail_2

-ID#_2

PageBreak

Detail_1 gets assigned to ID#1 above it.

Detail_2 gets assigned to ID#2 below it.

Both Details are given the correct Cust#.

I'll post this for now because I need to restart computer.