6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:11 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

    MRE v5 Export problem

    SteveIT _

      I know that Monarch Report Explorer v5 is an older, minimally supported piece of software, and that it's not expected to be fully compliant with newer systems.  But I have an interesting problem with it on a Windows 7 machine and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas that might resolve the issue.

       

      We receive .prf files from a customer, and due to regulations they are unable to send them to us in other formats, so we have to work with their .prf files (plus we have a long history of their files we'd need to work with if we ever had to go back in time for something).

       

      When we open the .prf in MRE, we are able to export the reports in certain situations.

      1.  We can export to a brand new file (type up a brand new name).

      2.  We can export to a similarly named, similar name-length file (we select a file in the Save interface "062311" and can rename to "062411").

      3.  We can export to a shorter-named file (we select a file in the interface "062311" and can save as "06231", having deleted the last "1").

      All these result in a brand new file, and the original "062311" was not overwritten.

       

      However, if we try to extend the file name of a similary named file, it tries to overwrite the original file we selected.  For example, we select the file "062311", and want to modify the name to "062311_CompanyA" in the save interface.  This normally should create a new file "062311_CompanyA", but MRE attempts to overwrite the first file "062311".  This also occurs if we try to rename it to "062411_CompanyA".  We can of course type up the full name new (see example 1 above), but some of our naming structures are complex and it can be quite annoying to have to do this for as many reports as we may export.  Also, this could lead to inadvertent overwrites of older files we actually want to keep.

       

      I have tested this on other Windows XP machines we have and it does not result in this error.  So it is something in the Windows 7 OS that seems to be the problem, but maybe someone knows something I can try.  Otherwise I will have to search out another way of opening .prf files as we move our last machines to Windows 7.

        • MRE v5 Export problem
          elginreigner _

          It may be in the difference of the system APIs for the file. Have you tried running MRE using WinXP SP3 compatbility enabled on it?

            • MRE v5 Export problem
              SteveIT _

              Running MRE using compatibility does not resolve the error.

                • MRE v5 Export problem
                  elginreigner _

                  Have you tried installing MRE under XP mode? It's not the same as compatibility mode, its much better. A mixture of a virtualized desktop that runs your application in the background under Windows XP components.

                   

                  Which system are the PRF files from?

                    • MRE v5 Export problem
                      SteveIT _

                      I have not done it under XP Mode, but my experience with it tells me that doing so would be a valid fix.  However, I'd like to avoid that and focus on being able to support our systems using current operating systems and not be reliant on XP legacy software.  Mainly because I would have to manage that virtualized XP and this is a relatively minor issue I don't view this as a likely solution.

                       

                      I do not know how the PRF files are being produced; will check to see if I can find out.

                        • MRE v5 Export problem
                          Olly Bond

                          I appreciate there's a legacy collection of data in PRF format, but the person generating the files should be able just to send the reports and a separate Monarch model file. Alternatively, Monarch v9, or maybe v10, lets you export reports as PDF files with the Tree included, if you need easy navigation. Or v10.5 lets you use view the report in Excel and jump from table data to the source.

                           

                          HTH

                           

                          Olly

                          • MRE v5 Export problem
                            elginreigner _

                            I have not done it under XP Mode, but my experience with it tells me that doing so would be a valid fix.  However, I'd like to avoid that and focus on being able to support our systems using current operating systems and not be reliant on XP legacy software.  Mainly because I would have to manage that virtualized XP and this is a relatively minor issue I don't view this as a likely solution.

                             

                            I do not know how the PRF files are being produced; will check to see if I can find out.[/QUOTE]

                             

                            XP Mode is under your current operating system, it comes with any version of Win7Pro or higher and was designed for this exact purpose. It allows the software to run under a XP environment. To the end user, it appears as if it is running under windows 7.

                             

                            This may also be your time to have the report format switched. Knowing the source of the PRF files will be key on ultimately resovling this issue. I use Monarch every day with my day to day duties, but my other duties include programming and all things IT. I'm very confident a resolve can be found on Windows7.