3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Corrupt Excel Files

ZJSoule _

Hello all,

We recently had an issue where datapump ran a job, and one of the excel files that was overwritten became corrupt, and contained no data.  This has happened intermittently over the years that I've been using Datapump but it is very rare (maybe once a year), and I can't reproduce it.  Has anyone else ever encountered this or come up with a solution? 

Zach

• Corrupt Excel Files
          Olly Bond

Hello Zach,

If we're delivering data for another application, then I tend to use CSV or MDB formats and consistent filenames so the other application knows what to fetch.

If we're delivering data for human consumption, generally as PDF or XLS, then I try to encourage colleagues to put a date stamp into the filename to avoid overwriting.

Would it perhaps be an idea to rerun the suspect process every other minute over a weekend, hammering the file in the hope of provoking a corruption, and alternating it with another process that opened the Excel file in Monarch to test that the output wasn't corrupt? Eventually, the loop will break, and you'll have a job log to look at and can check the Windows Event Viewer for more detailed messages from the same time.

HTH

Olly

• Corrupt Excel Files
              ZJSoule _

Hi Olly,

Its not a particular process.  It has happened with various processes.  We run a lot of processes (300 processes, approx 4,000 jobs run per year), and its not consistent or often.  Many of our processes go to .xls format and then excel does more work from there to make it pretty (vlookups, charts, etc.), so the file needs to be overwritten, and a PDF wouldn't accomplish this. 

I like your idea, but I don't know how to set up a process in Datapump to open an excel file in Monarch?  Could you shed some light on that?  Thanks for your help Olly!

• Corrupt Excel Files
                  Olly Bond

Hello Zach,

DataPump ships with a local copy of Monarch Pro, which can open Excel files directly (File > Open Database insetad of File > Open Report). So assuming Process A generates Excel1.xls, the define a Monarch Project that opens Excel1.xls and perhaps just writes out a summary with ;[Count]appending to a CSV file. Define a Datapump process B that includes just this project, and schedule process A and B to run alternately.

HTH

Olly