6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by NoBigee _ RSS

Failed while importing PDF message

NoBigee _

On a rare occasion, I receive pdf files that will not import into Monarch Pro. I am using 10.5.  I received the error message:  Failed while importing PDF file....   Is this because of a security setting on the file when the pdf file was created?

• Failed while importing PDF message
          Olly Bond

Hello NoBigee,

Can you select and copy the text from the PDF, in Acrobat Reader, and paste it successfully into Notepad? If you can do that, and Monarch still fails, then there's something strange going on. If you aren't allowed to select or extract text in the PDF, then you might need to convert it somehow. Can you print the PDF?

Best wishes,

Olly

NoBigee _

Sorry for the delay- yes I can highlight the data and paste to notepad.  I can print the pdf to paper.  I can use PdF2Text to convert to word document which can bring into Monarch.

elginreigner _

This sounds like a corrupt PDF or it's written in a PDF engine that Monarch does not understand. I would recommned converting to XPS.

Olly Bond

Hello NoBigee,

I'd second Elgin's suggestion that XPS might be a helpful route to try for a workaround.

Also, it might help you get a diagnosis of the root cause if you could open the document in Acrobat Reader, and then go to File > Properties. This should tell you the PDF Producer and the PDF Version of the file. If you can contact Datawatch Support with this information, they might have records of fixes for this from other customers.

Perhaps most helpful of all would be to send the PDF file, if you are allowed to, to Datawatch Support so that they can ask the developers of future versions of Monarch to make sure that it can handle this type of PDF without a problem.

Best wishes,

Olly