8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by adonis _ RSS

How to work with Projects & the Use of It

rdbabu _

Hi,

Can somebody help me out in learning about Projects and their use?

Also is there a way to apply multiple monarch models on the same report to get multiple reports. (excluding manual intervention like opening the report and dragging model on to the report and exporting it required format)

Thanks in adv...

Bob...

• How to work with Projects & the Use of It
          Grant Perkins

Hi,

Can somebody help me out in learning about Projects and their use?

Also is there a way to apply multiple monarch models on the same report to get multiple reports. (excluding manual intervention like opening the report and dragging model on to the report and exporting it required format)

Thanks in adv...

Bob...[/QUOTE]

Bob,

Which version of Monarch are you using now? Your profile says V7. I can't recall whether V7 included the electronic version of the Learning Guide. If it does and it is installed on your machine (or network) it would be a good place to get an introduction to Projects. We can deal with specific question remaining once you have read the introduction.

For your second question - no you can't apply multiple models to the same report in the same Monarch session. However you can automate the process of applying a sequence of models to a report using a Batch file. See the Help file for Commands and also check out ******************** and the Batch File Generator available there.

If you also have programming skills you could consider writing a program rather than using the batch file should you choose.

See how far these suggestions get you and and then we can deal with any questions that are still not clearly answered.

Grant

adonis _

agreeing with Grant, i usually use Batch Files to run multiple processes.

the beauty of the batch file is you can also rename files to add dates and other things like load data into MS Access and perform other things if needed.  I use it at times to execute my Access Macros to run queries and then create output and place it in a designated network location.

You can take multiple files and use one model or project to link them but not multiple models like Grant said.  I have a few processes where I take multiple files of the same data for different time frames and then load it into one project and create one end report as well.

rdbabu _

Hi Grant -  I am using 10.5 version at this moment.

I will try to read the help and get some knowledge on projects.

Also can you tell me where can i write batch files and how to write batch files?

Also where can i use my programming skills to automate the processess

adonis _

a .bat file is a type of executable file.  you can make that in the location you want to create the process by taking any file ie: a .txt file and just renaming it to .bat

then inside of it you should do things like I do which enables you to add the date to the file, if you don't want to do that, that is up to you as it normally helps daily having the file have a different date because you would be over-writting the previous day's file version.

what I normally do is as follows ( make sure to go to the control panel --> then to the Regional and Language Options --> then click on CUSTOMIZE -->  click on the date tab on top right, and make sure your short date format = M/d/yyyy from the drop down and the date seperator is a /   (once done, make sure to click on apply to save the settings)

I will provide you a sample as follows

this basically calls the Monarch executable and then i add a second process that renames the file.

keep in mind using a batch file .bat enables you to also run a Monarch xmod or project and directly send the data into MS Access if you want to run queries etc.  It populates tables if you define them as well.

I am going to give you an example that I use to run a monarch and also send the data into MS Access. 

I showed you a sample rename function as well but you will figure it out once you start playing with things.

you can name the files however you want them as long as you also use your export process properly.  sometimes you don't use projects and just models, you can see this in the help file.  The only difference would be there would be another line after the monarch.exe process called:  /rpt:"
                      THE PATH YOU WANT and the file name followed example being\Input.txt"

and instead of a prj you would use a mod below

ET MTH=%DATE:~4,2%

SET DAY=%DATE:~7,2%

SET YR=%DATE:~10,4%

SET MYDATE=%YR%%MTH%%DAY%

ECHO "Generating MDB..."

"C:\Program Files\Monarch\Program\monarch.exe" /set:"Test"="True" /prj:"
                      adonis\operations\MONARCH DOWNLOAD\Models & Projects\Cleanup.xprj" "/pxall" /exp:"
                      adonis\operations\MONARCH DOWNLOAD\Input Files\Validation.mdb" /expfileopt:append /exptableopt:overwrite /exptable:"Cleanup" /T

Rename "
                      adonis\operations\MONARCH DOWNLOAD\Output Files\Validation.xls"  "Validation_%MYDATE%.xls"

for some reason the : followed by an O makes a smiley face so keep that in mind that is what is said above.