9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

Max of A field

jbvinny _

Is there an easy way to have a calculated column within the table view that is the max of a given field?

I would have thought the syntax would have been something like :

=Max()

But that formula only appears to work when comparing multiple fields.  I just want the maximum date withing the Hold Report Date field.   I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question because it seems like this should be very easy to do...it's just one of those days.

• Max of A field
          jbvinny _

I should also mention that I realize aggregation is possible within the summary view but I don't think that will work for what I am trying to accomplish.

• Max of A field
              Olly Bond

Hello,

I'm afraid the answer is no - the table view doesn't let you compare the values from one row with another.

There are some techniques to exploit "invisible data" which might help you if the relevant data can be identified in the report.

But you might well need two passes - summarise with MAX(DATE) and export to Access or Excel, then open this as a table.

Best wishes

Olly

• Max of A field
                  jbvinny _

I need to use this data to populate another reporting tool and automate the process.  I am trying to limit the number of manual steps..but it looks like this might be unavoidable.  Is there a way to "summarize" the data..but really just make it a clone of the table view with the one exception being that max(date).

• Max of A field
                      jbvinny _

Doesn't look like this will be possible without the export you mentioned.   Even in the summary it will not let me us a date field as a measure.

• Max of A field
                        Olly Bond

It depends on how many fields you have - you're limited to 30 or so key fields, and I forget how many item fields. Using a three stage approach is easily automated with Monarch Pro, and that's the most you'll need for a job like this.

Best wishes

Olly

• Max of A field
                            jbvinny _

I have no idea how to automate within Monarch.  I would assume a save off my table...run some sort of macro or insert a formula that finds the max in my range (in this case report date) and then I pull that xls back into monarch.   But is there really a way to automate that within Monarch?

• Max of A field
                                Olly Bond

Yes, you can automate in Monarch, easily in Monarch Pro. Check out www.********************[/url] for examples and help

Best wishes

Olly

• Max of A field
                                    jbvinny _

It looks like the only was top access the information available on this topic is to purchase the 30 day training.   Are there any other resources that discuss this process?

• Max of A field
                                        Data Kruncher

I think that Olly wanted to direct you to the [URL="http://********************/tips/monarch-batch-file-generator"]Monarch Batch File Generator[/URL], which helps to build simple automation (using batch files, plain text files that you can view and edit with Notepad, if you're not familiar with them) that will perform a single step of a process.

You could use the generator to build each step of a multi-step process that you need, and then copy/paste the resultant important parts into a new final batch file.

The Monarch Batch File Generator, for all of the great and appreciated feedback that I've received about it, is just a bit of a fancy wizard to build the command line parameters for you. You can review all of the available command line parameters using the online help available in Monarch. Search the index for "Command lines, using Monarch ones".