4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by rcbarr _ RSS

Appending intermittent data

rcbarr _

(Monarch Pro version 8.00) 

I'm having trouble appending fields that appear intermittently in my report. The first 3 lines of each entry are the same, but could be followed by as many as 3 additional lines of information with varying field types.  How do I capture all of them? Below is an example:

PROCEDURE CODE:  00100                              

HMO COVERAGE CATEGORY:  ANESTHESIA                  

HMO UTILIZATION REVIEW CATEGORY:  G:ANESTH SVCS/SUPPL

PROCEDURE CODE:  00420                              

HMO COVERAGE CATEGORY:  OBSOLETE PROCEDURE/DIAG CODE

HMO UTILIZATION REVIEW CATEGORY:  G:ANESTH SVCS/SUPPL

Termination date:  01/01/2000                       

PROCEDURE CODE:  24300                                      

HMO COVERAGE CATEGORY:  SURGICAL PROCEDURES                 

HMO UTILIZATION REVIEW CATEGORY:  G:SURG MUSCULOSKELETAL SYST

Effective Date:  01/01/2002                                 

PROCEDURE CODE:  63030                                                 

HMO UTILIZATION REVIEW CATEGORY:  G:SURG NERVOUS SYST                  

HMO PRECERTIFICATION NEEDED:  Y                                        

Precertification Required for HMO 10 - ABC?:  HMO/POS REFERRAL REQUIRED

PROCEDURE CODE:  63051                                         

HMO UTILIZATION REVIEW CATEGORY:  G:SURG NERVOUS SYST          

HMO PRECERTIFICATION NEEDED:  Y                                

Effective Date:  01/01/2005                                    

Precertification Required for HMO 10 - ABC?:  REFERRAL REQUIRED

Thanks in advance for you help!

• Appending intermittent data
          Olly Bond

Hello RCBarr and welcome

There are at least three approaches that can help here - which one is best will depend on your data and the output requirements. You could explore the "preceding string" in the advanced field properties. You could manage the data with footer templates that are "cleared by" the detail template. Or you could define a memo field and chop it up using Textline().

How many possible options are there for lines 4-6 of each data set?

Best wishes

Olly

rcbarr _

Thanks Olly, 

Preceding string almost works, but not quite.  For instance, in the case of the "Effective Date:", when viewing the table a date value appears in the table row after the relevent detail template fields. In subsequent table lines, it often repeats the same date value even if the original data doesn't include an effective date.

I'm working in version 8 and am not certain it has the "cleared by" capability;  if so this may work.  Does v8 have "cleared by"?

I'm not certaing how to begin crafting the memo option you suggested.

In each data instance, lines 4, 5 and 6 may not appear at all, or may appear as a 4 line entry, a 5 line entry or a 6 line entry, with multiple combinations of any of these:

Effective Date:

Termination date:

HMO PRECERTIFICATION NEEDED:

Precertification Required for HMO 10 - ABC?:

Data Kruncher

I was able to successfully model the sample using v9, which like v8, does not offer the "cleared by" feature in the template definition.

To do so, I employed a combination of the "guru trap", and being certain to set preceding string values.

I began with a three line detail template, using the text "procedure code:" for the trap line.

Then I built four separate append templates, one for each of the lines that may be included with each record. Be sure to set the trap line for each append template to "procedure code:", just as you did for the detail template. Yes, it's odd, but it works.

For the Termination Date, I used the string "termination date". For Effective Date, it was "effective date". For the Precertification Needed field, it was "precertification needed". Finally, for the HMO 10 - ABC field, it was "hmo 10".

Setting the Options -> View null values as an empty string, the table displays the following:

Code    CoverageCategory        ReviewCategory            TerminationDate    EffectiveDate    PrecertificationNeeded    HMO10_ABC

100    ANESTHESIA            G:ANESTH SVCS/SUPPL               

420    OBSOLETE PROCEDURE/DIAG CODE    G:ANESTH SVCS/SUPPL        1/1/2000           

24300    SURGICAL PROCEDURES        G:SURG MUSCULOSKELETAL SYST            1/1/2002       

63030    SURGICAL PROCEDURES        G:SURG NERVOUS SYST                        Y            HMO/POS REFERRAL REQUIRED

63051    SURGICAL PROCEDURES        G:SURG NERVOUS SYST                1/1/2005    Y            REFERRAL REQUIRED

/CODESorry the columns don't line up too well here in the forum.

This approach should work equally well in v8.