4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by adonis _ RSS

Hide columns to be made available in output

adonis _

do any of you know if it is possible to hide a column using Monarch in the output but make it available?  I had someone ask me if it was possible to print every column but to hide a few of them just in case they want to circle back.

I have hidden columns but never have them hidden where it would show in the output ie: Column A, C, D, E, G (which would mean that columns B & F are available if needed by unhiding)

• Hide columns to be made available in output
          Steve Caiels

[SIZE=3]Hi Adonis,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Potentially, you might be able to do something with hiding key field columns when exporting from the summary window.  Hidden Keys are exported as hidden columns in Excel.  /SIZE[/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]However, hidden columns from the table are not available in the target file.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]You could get the same effect by having a pre written Excel sheet with references to a 2nd sheet populated by Monarch.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Create an Excel workbook with sheets called ‘data’ and ‘monarch’ for example. The ‘data’ sheet would copy data from the monarch sheet. The formula in cell A1 of the data sheet would be =monarch!A1, cell A2 would be =monarch!A2 etc[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Then get Monarch to update the ‘monarch’ sheet and hide/unhide columns at will in the main ‘data’ sheet.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]If this is a requirement for a larger audience then there are several features in Monarch ES that would give your users more control. /SIZE[/FONT]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Regards,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3]Steve.[/SIZE][/FONT]

adonis _

thanks for the quick reply Steve, I will think it over.

I know using Monarch by hiding that field, it does not show up, so it requires outside logic from what I believe.

have a good day.

Data Kruncher

Edit: I missed Steve's mention of using summaries altogether. Just read it now.

Sorry all, I'm a bit late to the party today.

There is a way that you can do this with Monarch. I rely on this technique frequently. And as your intention is to export tabular data structures, it should work for you too.

Instead of exporting from the Table, build a new summary (with subtotals and without suppressing duplicate values). First add all of the fields that you need as keys and/or items. Now add and position the fields that you want included but not displayed. Go to the Display tab for those fields and elect to hide them.

Now they'll be included as hidden columns in Excel exports.

This works best for smaller data sets (fewer columns), and from what you've described it ought to do the trick.

HTH.