3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Calulated Field shows amts in Table but  Null in Summary

CSBSmith _

I'm trying to set up a summary from a Database. I pulled my information from the database.  Then I created a calculated field (A-B).  The value calculates properly in the table.  However, once I try to summarize the information, all the values in the calulated field show as (Null) in the Summary (which is incorrect).  Any suggestions?

• Calulated Field shows amts in Table but  Null in Summary
          Grant Perkins

Hello CSBSmith and welcome to the forum.

Is it safe to assume that both of the values are numeric in the database and the table and that no records might contain incorrect values as imported?

Iy you set up a very simple summary  - key field and the A, B and Calculated value field on a one to one basis (i.e. no summarisation at all really), does that populate correctly or show NULLs? You could set the calculated field up as bot a key and a measure to see what happens.

Beyond doing that sort of core analysis I'm not sure what to suggest. Let us know the results of these experiments and it may prompt some further ideas or useful questions.

Grant

CSBSmith _

Yes, all the fields are numeric values and there do not appear to be any importing errors.  The calculated field works fine in the Table.  The summary gives me nulls, even if I do no summarizations (as you suggested).  I also tried to set up the caluclated field as a Key field...still all NULLs????

Grant Perkins

Odd.

Not sure I have a database type database to try things out with  but I checked a tab csv file used as a database and A-B with A, B and the resulting C all carried to a summary worked fine. As expected really.

Something odd is going on.

Did you use your existing model for the 'test' por create a new one? If existing - try a new (simple) one. It's rare but not entirely unheard of for file to become corrupt  and if that happens to a model file unpredictable results can ensue. It's worth seeking to eliminate that rare possibility early in the investigation of this sort of strange problem.

Grant