9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:10 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Data Repeating

FrankK _

Hello,

I have a model that was working great until our report added a new line of data.  The data is below my detail.  It is a sales tax field and when i add it to my template, it pulls over fine except that it carries the number to the wrong section.  Let me show you.

Name                                                 Amount

John Doe                                            30.00

Sales tax           1.00

Jan Doe                                               40.00

Sales tax               .50

When i move my data over to the table, the $1 sales tax falls under Jan Doe's line with her $40 & $25.  I made sure that the fields aren't copying from a previous record.  So John Doe's total expense is only $30 and his sales tax of $1 is being added to Jan Doe's amount.  I hope i explained this well.  If you need anything else, please let me know.

Thank you,

Frank

• Data Repeating
          elginreigner _

Stupid question, is the sales tax a separate template? Do you have it as an append or footer?

• Data Repeating
              FrankK _

Yes, it's an append template.

• Data Repeating
                  elginreigner _

What are you trapping your detail on? Sounds like the tax should be a footer.

• Data Repeating
                      FrankK _

My detail is trapped on types of insurance, which also includes the amount.  I changed my append to footer and it did help, except that those individuals who had no sales tax would then have the sales tax of the person below them.

• Data Repeating
                          Olly Bond

Hello Frank,

In Monarch v10, this can be easily solved using the Cleared By feature. Edit the footer template, click on Cleared By, and select the detail template.

HTH,

Olly

• Data Repeating
                            Grant Perkins

My detail is trapped on types of insurance, which also includes the amount. I changed my append to footer and it did help, except that those individuals who had no sales tax would then have the sales tax of the person below them.[/QUOTE]

Frank,

If the report line in the footer template has something that labels the Sales Tax amount you can use that as a sort of 'selection filter' within the template. In fact you are probably using that to trap the template?

So I'm guessing the report probably has the line description "Sales Tax:"  or similar - maybe just a Tax Code? - somewhere on the line. Anything that uniquely identifies that line in that template BEFORE the value field you want to extract from the line should work for you.

When you create the value field go into the 'Advanced' properties for the field and set up to select using a Preceding String. "Sales Tax:" would work in my assumption above.

Now the problem is that some records will not have a footer template selected since there will be nothing to trap on for those record, right? So you either need to seek a footer trap setting that will always exist for each record even if Sales Tax is absent OR revert to an Append template but use the same trap as you have for the detail template. Doing that should ensure that the value in the Sales Tax field will be 'reset' for each record whilst the Preceding string suggestion will result in an unpopulated field for records with no Sales Tax value.

This works because the Append Template rule - the data fields must come before (or more accurately "Not after") the detail  - is modified by the preceding string concept acting as a 'search until found' activity. Note however that the search will only go as far as the first occurrence of the search string or, of course, the last report line before the start of the next record.

These 2 concepts, most often used together, are the typical components of the 'guru trap'.

HTH.

Grant