3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:09 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Is there a way to apply a model to multiple databases at once?

MonUserCJ _

Hey all,

I sometimes work with data that is distributed across multiple CSV files. Does anyone know if there is a way to open these databases at the same time with the same model (like Monarch allows with reports)? Currently, I open the databases separately, export data from them, and combine the data files (stripping out the column header lines from the appended files). It's not too bad, but it's a little tedious, and I thought there might be a more elegant way of doing this.

Does anyone have any info on this issue? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

• Is there a way to apply a model to multiple databases at once?
          Data Kruncher

Hi CJ,

Yes, absolutely yes! In fact, it's one of big benefits of working with CSV files. Just make sure to save a project file so that all of the relevant files get opened automatically when you need them. Of course project files require that you use input files that have file names that don't change each time you open the project.

The only caveat is that the files must have exactly the same column headings and structure.

The model that you create will be applied to all of the CSV files simultaneously, just as when you're working with multiple report (text) files.

There are many ways to take advantage of this. You could segregate the data with files for business segments, by fiscal period, by region, you name it. In fact, you can build the files in advance and initially populate them without records (only headings) so that you could build a full year project, for instance, before you have data for all of the monthly files. Then build the project to use all of the monthly files, many of which won't have data (for now). Or what have you. Rather a "set it and forget it" scenario.

HTH,

Kruncher