9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:09 AM by drobert _ RSS

Cannot open external database

drobert _

For some strange reason I am not no longer able to create a external lookup with my Monarch 10.0:mad:. I was able in the past and I think that it started acting this way when I was given a new laptop. What it's doing is displaying the message after I browse and select the database I want (it does not matter whether ODBC or local database nor does it matter what type the source is). Sometimes (I noticed it when I select certain databases through ODBC) the message is simply "Cannot open external database ." (not very informative) and other times it also includes the database name (albeit sometimes the name is truncated). It also does not matter which previously created model I used (whether one that did not have an external lookup previously created, one that had none created or even a blank model).

I tried to uninstall and reinstall it and it's still the same problem. What is curious is that it had worked in the past since I created some models with these links before. I tried the same model with the same report with the same ODBC connection (which didn't work on my PC) with my login on another PC that also has 10.0 and it worked perfectly.:confused:

I was not able to find this particular problem in this forum and it is getting frustrating to have to use someone else's PC to modify or create models that have external lookups. Has anyone come across this? Would anyone have any ideas how to correct this?

BTW: When I tried to search for "Cannot open external database" (in quotes) with this new forum interface, it gives me the following message:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:

"Cannot open external database"[/B]

/QUOTE

If I remove the quotes, it seems to work (although it seems to exclude "cannot"), but I get a variety of different posts which have these words scattered within (not very useful:rolleyes:) and ironically there is a post that is titled exactly the same way.

• Cannot open external database
          Joe Berry

In 2009 Data Kruncher developed a Google Custom Search tool for the forum. It is located here: http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=017979669301925061066:c4v8ksw-llg[/URL]

I have experienced the ODBC issue with lookups and directly opening an ODBC database. My issue is more than likely a security/permissions issue - at least that is my current thought. I think you may have a similar issue. I base that entirely on the fact that you just got a new pc.

Good luck.

drobert _

Actually the problem is not only with ODBC, but with any source type whether local or through ODBC (Excel, Access, dBase, etc) and the ODBC connections actually work as I have Access databases and Crystal Reports which use these connections and they all work fine.

Yes, I do use Sandy's Google search and that is what I had used to try to locate similar cases, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a search engine built-in the forum that does not do what (I am fairly sure) it was capable of doing before.

drobert _

I tried a variety of source files and the only one working is a text file. This time I tried to uninstall 10.0, rebooted and reinstalled and still the same thing.:rolleyes:

BTW, like I mentionned before, I think that this started since I swaped notebooks this summer, but the OS is still the same: Win XP SP3.

Would anyone have any ideas why this is happening or have any suggestions?:)

Grant Perkins

Daniel,

I don't have much need to link to databases and I don't have V10 on Win XP so there is not much practical experience to be offered from here but  ..... you have not mentioned whether you have ensured that the XP system is up to date (apart from SP3) and I just wonder if there are things we could eliminate from any list of possible causes.

So -

is the .NET installation up to date?

Could there be any security or access rights issues relating to the way the machine is set up/which 'user' is running the Monarch session .... or things like that?

What you have reported so far certainly points to there being something different with the new machine but discovering what may not be so easy. There might also be MS Office products updates involved although if you also have the same problem with dbase such a a suggestion may be wide of the mark.

HTH.

Grant

drobert _

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Our Windows Network department is pretty good at ensuring that patches and applications are up-to-date as possible for the OS we are running and these things are done automatically.

is the .NET installation up to date?[/QUOTE]

Here are the .NET versions I have on my machine:

v1.0.3705

v1.1.4322

v2.0.50727

v3.0

v3.5

v4.0.30319

Could there be any security or access rights issues relating to the way the machine is set up...[/QUOTE]

I am a local system Admin so I don't believe that it's the case, but I guess I can test if another user has the same problem on my machine (I will advise on the results). As I stated, I don't have that problem when login on (using roaming profile) to a machine that has 10.0. Another thing that seems to steer away from that theory is that I can't open most local files (other then text files -- so far .txt and .cvs work) which I can with their native applications. Even ODBC connections work fine if I use Access.

There might also be MS Office products updates involved...[/QUOTE]

Originally I was thinking that too, but all machines are restaged with the same software and patches and are regularly updated to every machine and as you stated, this problem is not restricted to Office products.

Grant Perkins

Hi Daniel,

It seems that you have all the angles covered there - which makes it really strange. Unless, of course, one of the updates has inadvertently introduced an anomaly.

Not sure if it will help in any way but have you tried setting up with a Monarch Log file to see if there is anything consistent reported?

Grant

drobert _

Hi Grant,

...have you tried setting up with a Monarch Log file to see if there is anything consistent reported?[/QUOTE]

No actually I haven't... I didn't know that was possible. How do I set this up?

Grant Perkins

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you - busy day doing stuff.

There is a log file created fo reach session. It is deleted if the session end successfully or when a new session is started (when a new file is created). If a session fails or during a session the Log file can be accessed. What it records can also be extended slightly by the LogOperations setting - a hidden setting in the Windows Registry.

The easiest thing to suggest is to check out the description in the Help File. It's in the Settings section listed under "Hidden Settings - LogOperations".

I don't think you need the LogOperations part of it for this problem but I could be wrong.

It's a while since I have made any use of it and I don't think it was every intended to catch absolutely everything in full detail from a general system point of view but you never know what it might turn up that provides something to help point you in the right direction. Of course it may just report that the required file was not available - which you already know ......

Grant

drobert _

I forgot to mention that this is not strictly when creating a model but also when opening models that have one already defined. When I open one that already has an External Lookup defined, I get a pop-up window with the following message:

An external lookup data source '[I]datasource_name - tablename[/I]' is either missing or invalid. From the Table Menu choose Data/External Lookups... to select a new data source for the offending lookup.[/CODE]

This is where I have a problem of either defining or editing External Lookups.

There is a log file created fo reach session. It is deleted if the session end successfully or when a new session is started (when a new file is created). If a session fails or during a session the Log file can be accessed. What it records can also be extended slightly by the LogOperations setting - a hidden setting in the Windows Registry.

The easiest thing to suggest is to check out the description in the Help File. It's in the Settings section listed under "Hidden Settings - LogOperations".

I don't think you need the LogOperations part of it for this problem but I could be wrong.

/QUOTE

I checked the documentation and I set my registry entry LogOperations=ALL.

It's a while since I have made any use of it and I don't think it was every intended to catch absolutely everything in full detail from a general system point of view but you never know what it might turn up that provides something to help point you in the right direction. Of course it may just report that the required file was not available - which you already know ......[/QUOTE]

It actually did not write anything in the FILE####.ERR file. I noticed other FILE####.* files generated at the same time (but with different sequence numbers) and I noticed that the FILE####.TDX had the following, which I am not sure what it means:

000020 1 0 1 0[/CODE]

I the FILE####.MDB and *.LDB were generated and it seems to contain some of the sort fields and the External lookup fields that I am using along with the associated data from my report.

A FILE####.RDF was created and it seemed to contain the data from my table.

There was also a FILE####.PGX file create about the same time and two JETxxxx.tmp files, but they were empty.

It looks like this did not uncover anything.:(

BTW, another user logged-on to my notebook and tried the same model and had the same problem as I am having... so it certainly seems to point towards my notebook. This person was able to run this same model perfectly on their own PC which has the same version as my notebook. Strange indeed!:confused: