4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:09 AM by Dirk Schulze RSS

    Monarch Pro v11.8:  System Out of Memory Error and Bloated Models using PDF Files

    Dirk Schulze

      I'm currently using Monarch Pro v11.8 and over the past month I've started getting an error message saying "Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown."  Then Monarch has to shutdown and restart.

       

      Typically this happens when working with PDF files.  Some files are large and complex but many are as short as one page.  I'm also noticing that my models bloat up in size.  The model I was using this morning started at 1MB but ended at 23MB.  Before Monarch shutdown it became very sluggish, which I guess shouldn't be surprising.

       

      I've notified my IT person about this, but he isn't a Monarch guy.  So I'm wondering if I should be concerned about bloated model sizes.  Is that normal?  Could that be causing the problem?

        • Monarch Pro v11.8:  System Out of Memory Error and Bloated Models using PDF Files
          Olly Bond

          Hello skinman,

           

          That's definitely not normal. There's no reason for the model file to grow in size. I've never seen a 1MB model before also - I once saw a 750KB model, but there the user had built a few large internal lookup fields, along with loads of filters and summaries.

           

          For a normal model file with a few templates and fields to manage a typical PDF you might be looking at most for a model of 100KB.

           

          Best wishes,

           

          Olly

            • Monarch Pro v11.8:  System Out of Memory Error and Bloated Models using PDF Files
              Dirk Schulze

              Thanks Olly.  That's what I thought.  Datawatch tech support is helping me now so hopefully I'll get insight into what is happening.

                • Monarch Pro v11.8:  System Out of Memory Error and Bloated Models using PDF Files
                  Dirk Schulze

                  My system out of memory error appears to be fixed thanks to John at Datawatch support.  My Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 program had to be uninstalled and replaced with a version downloaded from MS.

                   

                  But my models are still growing in size.  And I think I've figured out the pattern.  I have some fairly large PDF files with multiple reports included (all with different layouts).  So I have a series of models to pull data.  It appears that if I don't close my previous model before opening the next model the size of the next model will increase greatly.  I just had a 20KB file grow to 6,969KB.  I made no changes to the model, I just saved it.  The file I was using previously was 6,965KB.  I assume that if I don't close the previously file something lingers and gets saved as part of the subsequent model.  Going forward I will close every model before opening the next.  Still, I haven't had this problem until recently (end of last year) and I'm wondering if it is a bug with one of the later updates to v11.