9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:09 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

Append & Footer Limits

elginreigner _

Is there a limit on the number of appends/footer a model can have?

• Append & Footer Limits
          Data Kruncher

The total number of all footer and append templates defined within a single model cannot exceed 20.

• Append & Footer Limits
            joey

You are allowed 22 templates total.  You have to have a detail template, so I suppose you could have up to 21 footer templates if you wanted.

• Append & Footer Limits
                elginreigner _

Is the limit in the code or in the registry? I think this XML model will end up being multiple passes.

• Append & Footer Limits
                    Data Kruncher

The limit of 20 appends/footers total is expressly documented in the online help (you cannot have 21), so I'd be inclined to say that it's defined in the program code.

• Append & Footer Limits
                        joey

Side comment I find interesting...

In the 08 conference when Gareth was explaining the new features of V9 (which expanded the templates from 12 to 22), he was talking about all of the hard work they put in to expand this and he was hoping it was high enough to never revisit the topic.  But in the coctail hour the day before, someone came up to him and said somethign to the effect of great job increasing the templates...but 22 just isn't enough.

I think you're proof of the number of templates now.  Personally I've never used more than 6 myself.  And I'll back up Gareth if he says that it is not easy to increase this limit.

I don't work with XML often, but I immagine there's a better suited utility than Monarch that may convert to something MOnarch can handle.

• Append & Footer Limits
                            Data Kruncher

Ugly XML and HTML based extractions are the only times that I've run into the template limit, and multiple models are always required.

Whenever possible, work with other formats. :eek:

Can you open the XML in IE and save that as a more usable text report. Maybe print to XPS and open that with Monarch? The content is the same, but the resultant visual structure is often easier to model with Monarch.

• Append & Footer Limits
                                elginreigner _

I'm going to be close in this one. I think I found some solid traps, but with this being a first drop froma client and it being medical data, it could easily change.

• Append & Footer Limits
                                  Grant Perkins

Ugly XML and HTML based extractions are the only times that I've run into the template limit, and multiple models are always required.

Whenever possible, work with other formats. :eek:

Can you open the XML in IE and save that as a more usable text report. Maybe print to XPS and open that with Monarch? The content is the same, but the resultant visual structure is often easier to model with Monarch.[/quote]

Agreed.

Alternatively break the HTML extractions into component sections that are easier to handle (and guarantee against changes), export the results to a file or database with a linking key. Then bring the whole thing back together using a master key field (ultimately) to re-link back through the separate extractions.

That's probably less work to develop and test[/B] than a multi-template single pass and almost certainly easier to maintain ... especially if you keep the exports simple - columnar text files for example to make it easy to see and check the data when extracting.

Some code or a batch file to automate it and away you go ...

There may be some constraints to this but I can't think of many that you would hit with this approach that you would not hit in some way with a single pass - unless you were very unlucky!

Grant