7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:09 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Trap Help

elginreigner _

This is a from whats called the letter file here. It contains all of our collection letters. I need some help trap, well getting the trap to stop correctly. I have the following as an example

START-REC,C,000901554101        ,  ,  ,test                                    ,address

10112/15/10

040test

044test

146     $1391.16

045test

147         $.00

151         $.00

152     $1391.16

040test

Client Name    Client Ref No    Principal   Interest    Other       Total

-

-

-

-

-

-

test 17404                 202.85        .00       .00        202.85

DATE OF SERVICE 05/27/09

test 4025683             1,188.31        .00       .00      1,188.31

DATE OF SERVICE 04/30/09

============

1,391.16

END-OF-REC /code

Think that covers all the PHI data i need to worry about. As you can see the record start with START-REC and ends with END-OF-REC. My issue is the varying size. This is the larget sample but can be as small as 8 rows. I will be using from START in the beginning to the END-OF-REC as my entire field. The purpose of this project is to cut apart a letter file to have sent to differnt vendor so we don't have to do it manually.

My issue is I'm using this as the sample to trap on, but its 42 or so lines and wants to continue into the next record. I have tried using other templates as a stop condition but didnt turn out to successful. Any other info can be provided if need be.

• Trap Help
          Olly Bond

Hello Elgin,

If you're just chopping data, then using a page header template on the START REC, then exporting a summary with the page header as a hidden key field, breaking on changes in value of the page header, might do the trick?

Best wishes,

Olly

• Trap Help
              elginreigner _

Olly

Thanks for the input. Didnt' work but I got my ah ha moment. Now I have a successful trap from the smallest to the largest area. What I did was have the sample on the smallest data, set the memo to be an absurd number so it will continue to read until the next template.

Now it reads all 2,046 records correct.

I'll update back if I have any more issues. If this is successful, it will save 30 to 60 minutes a day.

• Trap Help
                  elginreigner _

Update:

I've got the project setup to separate what I need, however the memo field does not keep the format, ie: carriage returns and line feeds.

What I'm asking, can this be accomplish via Monarch Pro?

• Trap Help
                      Olly Bond

Hello Elgin,

Yes, it can be accomplished using Monarch. Just trap the page header, then use a null trap to select a single line detail template for every other line, then glue it together in a summary using a hidden key field.

Drop me an email if you'd like to see a model file showing the concept.

Best wishes,

Olly

• Trap Help
                          elginreigner _

Hmm, sound theory. I will have to try that route. This the same as your first response, but should work now that I have the information being trapped correctly.

• Trap Help
                              elginreigner _

The Basic setup of the summary worked excellent. You're 1 smart cookie there Olly.

• Trap Help
                                  Olly Bond

Hello Elgin,

(Thanks!)

I was just building the model myself and used my favourite calculated field PageLine (numeric with three decimal places):

Page()+(Line()/1000)[/code]

to force the item elements in the summary to display themselves in the right order. Whenever you're using a summary to mimic part of the report, PageLine is really helpful in giving you a handle on the original layout.

Glad you got it to work!

Best wishes,

Olly