4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:08 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Chart Exporting

elginreigner _

Seeing this hasnt been asked in 6 years I'll ask again. Can charts be export now in v10.5 pro?

I'd rather export Monarch's chart instead of creating it in Excel.

• Chart Exporting
          Data Kruncher

Hi Elgin,

No, you still cannot export charts. Exporting summary will only yield the grid output. The charting software component used to build the Monarch software hasn't been changed in some time, as you've noted.

As we're on the topic of charting, it's my personal opinion, FWIW, that we can (and should) produce much better charts with Excel than what Monarch (currently) allows us to produce. Further, and while I'm certain that it's obvious that I have an over-the-top passion for Monarch, I will go so far as to recommend that you don't spend time on charting with Monarch. It is my opinion that the same time spent with other tools will produce much more favorable results.

It really doesn't take much time and the benefits are significant. Monarch allows us to work with huge data sets, and often the most efficient way to analyze all that data is with visual tools. Others may be along shortly to contribute to this discussion in this regard.

Kruncher

• Chart Exporting
              elginreigner _

Data

Thanks for the update, I was hoping they slipped something passed me without my knowledge. I know Excel has much better charting than Monarch, I would just like to have this part exported along with the Monarch project, as it's just a line graph to point out anomalies in processing times.

• Chart Exporting
                  Data Kruncher

Because you can copy a chart from Monarch and paste it into Excel, you could likely accomplish want you want with Excel VBA, or an AutoIT script, but that might be more effort than you want to put into it.

• Chart Exporting
                      Olly Bond

Hello elginreigner,

I've shared your frustrations with charting in Monarch for a while, but I'm not a great fan of Excel's charting either. There are too many 3D gimmicks for my liking, and I've seen really bad charts used that don't communicate anything you couldn't have shown with a table of figures. There definitely is a place for visual information, but I wish that more users would read Perceptual Edge - http://www.perceptualedge.com/examples.php[/url] - and try to follow the guidelines for best practice shown there.

When users request charts, getting clear requirements from them can be difficult as users don't have the habit of clearly specifying visual data. I find that mocking up some data in Tableau is useful, as it's then a simple matter to work with the users to modify the graphs and stumble towards their real requirements...

Best wishes,

Olly