7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:08 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

Field Size

elginreigner _

Can field size be adjusted without opening the project? Can I adjust the xmod file to change the size of a field?

We did a system upgrade here, and as most people know, Monarch field sizes do not grow with data. I have project I need ot adjust, but when I attemmpt to adjust it in Monarch the project just crashes.

• Field Size
          thompssc _

You can directly modify the field sizes in the XML, you'll be looking for the

I'd recommend an app like XML Notepad from Microsoft (it's free), as model files (at least the ones we have) are quite ugly when opened up in notepad.

• Field Size
              elginreigner _

Thank you. This will help a lot having to edit fields without opening the project. With 3 to 5 million records, this will save a lot of time.

• Field Size
                  Olly Bond

Hello elginreigner,

Since v10, you can open model files straight into Monarch, without loading a report or database, which would let you edit field properties etc. That method is supported, poking around in the source XML of model files isn't[/B]

Best wishes,

Olly

• Field Size
                      Data Kruncher

Since v10, you can open model files straight into Monarch, without loading a report[/CODE]

Actually since v9.

• Field Size
                          elginreigner _

Open model file directly into Monarch? Can I get more information please? Would I open the model file as 'Open with'? or just open a blank Monarch? Either way I dont see fields being listed when I open it.

• Field Size
                              thompssc _

1. Launch Monarch

2. Click File -> Open Model

3. Choose your model

4. Click Window -> Table

5. Modify the fields as you normally would

• Field Size
                                  elginreigner _

Thompssc, thanks for the info. Oddly enough, when I click the table window, it takes just as long to load as if I loaded the project. I do mostly ODBC lookups in my projects. Would these caus this?

Either way, I like the XML notepad better. It's very quick, I dont need to browse to my file from Monarch, I can open directly.