3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:08 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Column Limits

elginreigner _

What is limit on importing columns from an Excel file?

• Column Limits
          Olly Bond

Hello Elgin,

I can't cover all the subtleties of Excel formats and Monarch versions, but you can have up to 255 fields in a Monarch table, but capped at 4000 characters total width, with numeric fields counting as 18 and date fields counting as 10, I think. Memo fields can let you get around this limitation, but I don't know if that's going to help you working from Excel.

Best wishes,

Olly

• Column Limits
              elginreigner _

Hey Olly, been awhile

It's v10.5. The Excel file is only 60 columns, how does Monarch treat text columns? Does it resort to 255 characters per column?

• Column Limits
                  Olly Bond

Hello Elgin,

Excel being a lousy format, Monarch has to guess whether a column should be numeric or text, and if text how long the data length should be. Monarch does this by making a scan of the first 250, I think, rows of the Excel data. If there's character data in there, the field is character. I frequently create extra projects in Monarch jobs to pre-process the Excel files provided by colleagues and to convert them into Access format, where I know that subsequent Monarch sessions won't have to guess field definitions.

Hope this helps,

Olly

PS IIRC there's a thread elsewhere about configuring the 250 row count setting for scanning by editing the registry.