3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:08 AM by sammasaaron _ RSS

ODBC troubles

DZizzo _

Hi -- We're using Monarch Pro 10.5 and Windows 7 and have been accessing an Oracle database through an ODBC connection.  I have 2 questions:

1) We had been operating as "administrators" on our computers, but have recently been changed to "users".  We don't seem to be able to access the database any more.  Is this a problem anyone can help with?

2) Am I right that there is a 255 column limit to what Monarch can work with in a database?

Thanks so much.  This is such a helpful forum.

Debbie

• ODBC troubles
          Olly Bond

Hello Debbie,

Monarch uses an Access MDB format to store the data in memory, and is constrained only by the limitations of this format. A helpful summary is here:

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_specifications.html[/url]

These are a 2GB total data size, The limit in Access is 255 fields, although I think Monarch limits you to 254. Monarch will warn you if the maximum record length of one row of your table exceeds the limit - which I think is 4000 characters in total across all non-memo fields.

As for Oracle and rights, there are various types of DSN and where these are stored may be affecting you here. These are described at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_Source_Name[/url]

If you have a system DSN in place, it may be that this is in a location to which you no longer have access? The DSN used by Monarch should be referenced in the project files you use - have a look under File > Project & Model Information.

Best wishes,

Olly

• ODBC troubles
              DZizzo _

Thanks Olly!  I will give all this a try.

• ODBC troubles
                  sammasaaron _

Hi, I'm a coworker of DZizzo. We recently solved the permissions problem that resulted from being demoted to users from administrators. In case anyone else runs into this problem, here is the (relatively) simple fix.

Have your administrator add the "Create Global Objects" permission to each user who needs ODBC (or OLE DB) access. This can be found under Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Local Security Policy in Windows 7. It should be in a similar place in earlier versions of Windows, but a quick google search will suffice if your admin has trouble finding it.

Also, we later ran into issues with users who had two versions of Oracle installed. There is a lot of advice in various Oracle forums about how to handle multiple installs on one machine, but the gist of the advice is don't do it. So if you encounter problems after gaining "Create Global Objects" permission, check your Oracle install(s).

Hope this helps,

Sam