6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Identifying Lookup Output Values with no Input Match

Diane Miller

Is there a way to identify Lookup field output values that have no input match?

I am doing a reconciliation to a client's inventory and they sometimes show accounts as listed with us when we don't have them on our system. I have been doing my work in Access but think I can make the reconciliation much more efficient using Monarch for everything if I can just figure out how to do this one thing.

Thanks

• Identifying Lookup Output Values with no Input Match
          Data Kruncher

Yes there is a way Diane. You can isolate those records by building a filter similar to:

IsNull()[/CODE]

Or if your Monarch version doesn't offer the IsNull function:

Len()=0[/CODE]

Does that help you to move ahead?

Diane Miller

This returned anything with out a value in the output field which I already had.

What I really want is to identify the accounts that are in my output field that are not in my report field.

Example:

Accounts In Report             Accounts in Lookup Field            Lookup Output Value

12345                               12345                                     $45.00

45267                               45267                                     $100.01

98642                                     $56.77

67431                               67432                                     $44.02

97841                               97841                                     $66.00

I can filter and find all accounts that are in the report & in the look up field & get 4 results.

I can filter and find all accounts that are in the report but not in the look up field & get 1 result.

I want to find account # 98642 which is in the lookup field but not in the report.

I appreciate your help.

Diane Miller

Looks like my example scruntched up. I hope this will make more sense.

Report Account   |   Lookup Input   |   Lookup Output     

98642                 |   98642            |   $45.00     

45267                 |   45267            |   $100.01     

-

|   98642            |   $56.77     

67431                 |   67431            |   $44.02     

87632                 |   -

|   -

97841                 |   97841            |   $66.00

Olly Bond

Hello Diane,

Monarch allows you to carry out LEFT OUTER joins from your main table to external lookup tables. This means that it will fetch the data from the external table only for those rows that exist in your table.

You're looking for a RIGHT OUTER join, and the only way to do that is to swap the two tables around. Open your lookup source as your main database in Monarch, then perform a lookup to your data.

Once you do this, the filters Kruncher suggested will help you find the records you need.

Best wishes,

Olly