4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by elginreigner _ RSS

Circular Reference

elginreigner _

I have a field called GFIRST with the following as it's expression:

IF(AGE(CTOD(GDOB),DOS,1)<18.AND.GDOB<> '','PARENTS OF '+UPPER(GFIRST_UNC),UPPER(GFIRST_UNC))

There is no reference to the field in the expression, yet I'm getting a circular reference error stating, I am using the field within the expression.

• Circular Reference
          Data Kruncher

That seems odd, doesn't it? What's the exact error message that pops up? Is one of the fields used in the formula for GFIRST referencing GFIRST in its formula maybe?

• Circular Reference
            elginreigner _

Okay, I have located it. In my the field GDOB (guarantor DOB), it reference the guarantor name and the patient name to determine if they are the same person, if they are, I copy the patient DOB to GDOB. This is the circular reference as this would change the name on the guarantor and create a loop.

Thanks to anyone who viewed this as it made me wonder why no one replied, and from there I found the problem.

• Circular Reference
                Data Kruncher

Ah, good then. A bit of a cross-post there.

Working on HL7 data?

• Circular Reference
                    elginreigner _

No, this file is not in HL7 format. This is just crappy data, in the medical industry there are 2 types of billing, guarantor or patient. The patient billing can be annoying as all the demographic information gets listed under the patient. Calculations are needed to determine if they are the same person, if they are a minor, etc. With guarantor billing, assuming the correct data was gathered at the point of entry (we all know this happens, ha), the information is straight forward.