2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by Sissy_0209 _ RSS

Version 8.2, Trying to use PDF Import but lines are wrapping?

Sissy_0209 _

I have an older version of Monarch (8.2), would like to upgrade to the newer version but so far employer has not made the move.

I have an issue where I am trying to extract data from a PDF file.  When opening the PDF, the columns become dis-aligned and for some reason it looks as if the lines are wrapping at certain instances, see below for example:

$0.00    $41,973.65

$480.64     $8,010.71

$640.76    $10,679.36

,600.00 $1 $1,600.00

The 1 has been placed behind the 600.00 (Should be $1,600.00 $1,600.00) for whatever reason and I cannot determine how to correct this issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Version 8.2, Trying to use PDF Import but lines are wrapping?
          Grant Perkins

Hi Carrie and welcome to the forum.

PDFs can be difficult things  - the way they are structured internally may bear no relation to what they look like and not all programs writing pdf files work in exactly the same way.

Over the years Monarch has attempted to address this problem by discovering all the hidden variations that have been made available so a later version may offer a better solution. Or it may not. If you are in a position to be able to share the file I would be happy to see what version 10 can do with it.

You could also pull it into the Adobe PDF reader and use the Export to Text facility to see what happens. It will lose the column formatting, probably, but it would be interesting to see what it does with the misplaced number 1.

Another option that people have found successful is to open the PDF file in a PDF edit capable application and re-save it. This will often create a better version that Monarch can work with. Not guaranteed though.

If any of these options are available to you try them and see what happens  - we can then give some thought to the best way forward based on the results discovered.

HTH.

Grant