6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by warlok RSS

List of new features

warlok

Hi all,

I'm a fairly new user but very experienced with programming. I've been using Monarch for about 3 months now and have become the resident expert. We currently use Monarch Pro version 8.00 and I'm trying to submit a proposal to upgrade to the latest version 10.5. Is there a webpage somewhere that lists what new features and functionality was added with each version release? I've only seen a brief overview of the latest version over version 9 which only tells me half the story. Additionally, a page that shows successive improvements would help others show the benefits of upgrading.

• List of new features
          Data Kruncher

Welcome aboard Warlok!

There's a [URL="http://********************/tips/new-year-new-features"]summary of the new features /URLand enhancements introduced in v10, and Datawatch's own [URL="http://www.datawatch.com/downloads/Monarch_V9-V10.5_Features_Matrix.pdf"]matrix[/URL], but there isn't really a version by version feature recap.

You can review the Monarch brochures by version ([URL="http://www.aertia.com/docs/datawatch/Monarch_V8_upgrade_brochure.pdf"]v8[/URL], [URL="http://www.datawatch.com/product_literature/Monarch_V9_upgrade_datasheet.pdf"]v9[/URL]) to put the upgrade story together yourself though.

Since you seem to progressing nicely in a short period, you might be interested in challenging yourself a little over the course of [URL="http://********************/tips/30-days-to-become-a-better-monarch-modeler"]30 days[/URL].

HTH,

Kruncher

• List of new features
              Olly Bond

Hello Warlok,

If you're just manually mining fixed width simple text reports, then there's not much that can't be done with Monarch v4 which introduced the advanced field properties. (I'm about to get barred from the forums by Datawatch's sales team if I don't qualify that... OK, it won't run on more recent versions of Windows.)

Also, you might want to handle links to structured data sources, like CSV,Access, Excel, ODBC... So you might want to upgrade to v5 Pro.

Then you might have data in multiple columns, or that isn't lined up neatly but floats across the line. Or you might get data from HTML tables generated by some ERP systems. So at least v6 or v7 Pro would suit you better.

As you're likely exporting to Excel, you might want v9's improved speed and support for xlsx format (input and output).

If you're working with PDFs, v8 Pro handles most of them but certainly not all.  You'd need v10 Pro for the latest version of the PDF import engine.

Back to Excel, the Monarch Context plugin lets you embed the report into the output spreadsheet for compliance and audit requirements. You'd need 10.5 for that.

But if you are the only expert, and you want to share the benefits of report mining with colleagues, then you might want to make your life easier by automating your work. There's a batch file generator on the excellent www.********************[/url] site that can help.

Depending on the organisation, you might be better off getting DataPump to do some more serious automation - with .NET scripting, email and ftp and Sharepoint distribution, a web and MMC interface, SQL Server integration, logging, scheduling etc...

If you just want to deliver reports to users in the browser, and allow them to self-service their queries and download in Excel, then Datawatch|ES or Monarch BI Server ES as it's now called would let you do that. This allows for single sign on using Active Directory credentials, and has a whole lot of document level security policies that can help you deliver the right information to the right pair of eyes.

Sometimes, throwing a hundred copies of Monarch at the problem is the best way to solve self-service BI, but there are alternatives!

HTH

Olly

• List of new features
                  warlok

Thanks for the excellent information everyone. I may just check out osme of the challenging work just to stretch the brain a little.

Currently I am working on automating some projects. There was a created batch file program created for one project here and I've just been hand modifying to get it to work for other projects. Seems straight forward so far. I've created both Excel and .PDF files for these reports. I'm finding that the Excel reports work perfectly, however; as stated in your responses, not perfectly with Pro version 8. Reports with large rows seem to truncate off the end columns in the .PDF file.

The info you have given that version 10.5 may correct this may be enough to swing things my way. Thanks again.

• List of new features
                      Olly Bond

Hello Warlok,

Monarch has a limit of 4000 characters on a row. With old fashioned test files, the Monarch Utility could be used to break longer lines so Monarch could handle them easily.

With PDFs, that option isn't there - Monarch tries to replicate the layout on the page.  If your PDF scaling is set to a higher value, the amount of interpolated white space may cause your report to exceed this figure.

The advantage of injecting more white space is that your columns tend to line up more regularly. Reducing the scaling may solve the 4000 character width issue, but may give you data that's tricky to trap accurately.

There are a few tricks you can use to handle data like this - using functions like intrim(), lsplit(), substr() and extract(). For multiple column data there's the Column() function, which, when combined with lsplit(intrim()), can give very helpful results even from rather ragged data.

Column() was only introduced in v10, as far as I recall, which might help in your quest for an upgrade

Best wishes,

Olly

• List of new features
                          Data Kruncher

There are a couple of other approaches that you may find helpful in terms of PDF output being cropped.

First, simply set the page size to a larger document, if that would be acceptable, such as 11x17 instead of 8.5x11.

Secondly, use a smaller font in the Monarch window that you're exporting, as the same font family and size will appear in the resultant PDF. Note though, that not all fonts seem to behave in this manner. I've had excellent results with Consolas, to the extent that it's now my font of choice for Monarch.

Of course, if your output is really wide as Olly speculated above, then it would considerably more challenging.

• List of new features
                              warlok

Thanks guys,

I was able to strip out some extra spaces from the report line allowing it to fit in the PDF. It worked like a charm. Now they want different changes to the deliverable which is fine. Thanks for all your help. Always much appreciated.