4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by skrogness _ RSS

Retain format in memo fields

skrogness _

I'm using Monarch Pro V8.02 to extract different-sized blocks of text as memo fields but they lose the line breaks once they're in the table. Is there any way to retain the original formatting when extracting to a memo field?

This is what the original data looks like in the Report window in Monarch:

**Data Collection form---see below***                                                                               

EQUIPMENT: ***Be sure you have defibrillator in room (crash cart)*****                                                 

-

C-arm, Quantum table, 2 IV poles, Specialty cables dependent upon company.                                          

POSITIONING: Supine, arms tucked bilateral                                                                               

SKIN PREP: Duraprep/ Alcohol, poss Detachol                                                                               

MEDICATIONS:  1% Lidocaine                                                                               

Ancef--be sure this is given pre-op by anesthesia (Vanco if allergic to PCN)                                 

Kantrex 1Gm                                                                               

LOCAL INJECTION: 1% Lidocaine                                                                               

ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES: STERILE WAND SLEEVE for St Jude                                                                     

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS: ***be sure and place defib. pads on patient's back before procedure begins****                  

Dr may place R2 pads, if not 1-anterior midsternal & 1-posterior between upper shoulder blades                         

-

make sure you have WAND                                                                               

-

Specialty cables selected according to product choice.                                                              

-

Test Quick Combo cable before connecting to pads.                                                                   

IT IS NECESSARY TO USE A SLAVE EKG CABLE FROM THE ANESTHESIA MACHINE TO THE DEFIBRILLATOR TO MONITOR THE                 

HEART RHYTHM---THE DEFIB PADS ALONE ARE NOT ENOUGH!                                                                   

SCRUB NOTES: Stand next to surgeon.--on patient's left usually                                                           

-

Remove outer cover from US bag before using wand.                                                                   

DRAPES:  4 towels, Ioban, Sheet down, Thyroid Sheet                                                                               

DRESSING: 4x8, med tegaderm                                                                                /CODE

Once it's extracted, it outputs as one continuous block of text which is difficult to read. The different section titles vary from one record to the next in the original document and are basically all free-text.

I'll greatly appreciate anyone's suggestions on how to deal with this.

Thanks,

Susie

• Retain format in memo fields
          Olly Bond

Hello Susie,

If you have a memo field called, say, , then you can break up the lines in it using calculated fields, say =Textline(;1), Line 2=Textline(;2) etc.

Another trick is to set the font of the Table window to Courier New or some other fixed-width font, and adjust the field width of the field to the right width to replicate the data in the Report window.

Best wishes,

Olly

skrogness _

Hi Olly,

I haven't worked with calculated fields before but I've been able to create them for the first two lines of my memo field thanks to you. Is there a limit to how many calculated fields can be added to a table?

I'm indebted to you - thanks so much for the quick response!

Susie

Olly Bond

Hello Susie,

You're limited to 254 fields, I think, but in reality other limits will affect you before this has any impact. The total width of all the fields is capped at 4000 characters per record. You can see the field data lengths by viewing the Field List menu item in the Edit menu from the Table window. The total size of the table is limited to 2GB. There are ways around these if you need them...

For your data, you could experiment with the preceding string in the Advanced Field options using the possible headers (SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:, DRAPES: etc) if you needed to get these into specific fields.

Good luck!

Olly

skrogness _

Olly,

I think I'll be fine with the Textline() function. I'm extracting this info from PDF files into an Access database along with other types of info in the same PDF that will be manipulated to output a final document. This section of info will then be copied and pasted into another application so it will help that it won't have to be manually re-formatted. 

Thanks again for your help, and have a great rest of your day!

Susie