12 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by Amarjit _ RSS

Missing Characters due to Page Break

Amarjit _

Hi,

I am facing loss of data (characters) due to page break. I have a report file(txt file) which contains multiple pages. That report contains different fields, and in some of the fields, the characters are spread across multiple lines.

Since the number of lines(rows) in a page is constant, thus sometimes the lines(containing information about same object) goes through the next page.

While trying to extract the information into exel, the lines which spreads across next page misses out.

Is there a way, where I can define the template so that it reads the lines(containing information about the same object) crossing over to next page, and reproduce the complete data in excel?

Please let me know, if it can be done. The Forum has helped a lot.

Thanks,

Amarjit

• Missing Characters due to Page Break
          joey

Try setting up a page header template to eliminate the information at the top of each page.  Then, your detail and append templates should work much better.

Data Kruncher

Does the report have a heading block at the top of each page, so that the record that starts at the bottom of page 5, for example, continues after the headings that appear at the top of page 6?

Amarjit _

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the report has a heading block at the top of each page, and its very true that, " the record that starts at the bottom of page 5, for example, continues after the headings that appear at the top of page 6"

I cannot eliminate the information in heading block as I need these information as well.

Data Kruncher

It would help very much if you could post a sample of the problem section of the report between and (without the spaces).

Generally defining a Page Header template to match your page headings helps tremendously with these problems.

RalphB _

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the report has a heading block at the top of each page, and its very true that, " the record that starts at the bottom of page 5, for example, continues after the headings that appear at the top of page 6"

I cannot eliminate the information in heading block as I need these information as well.[/QUOTE]

Amarjit, you do not have to eliminate the information.  Just define the the heading block as a page header.  Then Monarch will read that section as a page header and keep the detail rows together even when crossing pages.

RalphB _

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot eliminate the information in heading block as I need these information as well.[/QUOTE]

Amarjit, you do not have to eliminate the information.  Just define the the heading block as a page header.  Then Monarch will read that section as a page header and keep the detail rows together even when crossing pages and append to the detail line.

Frequently people don't need info from a page header but set up a "blank " page header when data crosses onto the next page.  I believe that was what Joey was referring to.

Amarjit _

Thanks Data Kruncher, Joey and RalphB for the support.

Joey, RalphB: Although, I can create the page header, but I am unable to solve the problem I am facing with Detail type.

As Data Kruncher wanted an example, I am copying the example from txt file.

-

EXAMPLE----

Txn Date  Item            Description   

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--- -

-

28-DEC-09 xxx-xxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxxxxxxxx 

28-DEC-09 xxxx-xxx-xxx-x- xxxxxxxxxxxx  

xx

28-DEC-09 xxxx-xxx-xxx-x- xxxxxxxxxxxx                                                                               

Report Date:  30-APR-2010 13:18

Sorted by Account                               Material Account Distribution Detail                        Page:                  2

From 28-DEC-2009  To   25-APR-2010 USD

Txn Date  Item            Description   

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--- -

-

xx

28-DEC-09 xxxx-xxx-xxx-x- xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

xx

xx

xx

-

As you can see, the above example consists of two pages, and the "Item" is spread across both the pages.

I am able to capture the Item using "capturing a multiple line field" in Page 1 but not, which spread across both the pages.

I have read in the help "Monarch will also terminate a multiple line field after it extends two pages.  The field will be terminated on the second page where the page break character (character code 12) is encountered.  This prevents a field from continuing without end if the selected End Field On action is not appropriate to end the field.",

Thus I tried to ignore the "form feed character" and change the "force page break", but it didn't help either.

I am making the "Blank field values to 1" for the "End field on" for "Item"

As I am new to Monarch, I am using the help extensively, there may be a simple solution to this problem, but I am not getting it.

Please let me know, if you need more explanation to the problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amarjit

Olly Bond

Hello Amarjit,

In the report window, highlight the lines from:

(include the blank line)

Report Date: 30-APR-2010 13:18

Sorted by Account Material Account Distribution Detail Page: 2

From 28-DEC-2009 To 25-APR-2010 USD

Txn Date Item Description

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--- -

-

[/CODE]

and then go to the Template menu, select New Template, and choose the template type to be Page Header. Then click OK.

Monarch will then ignore the lines selected by the Page Header template, and your multi-line detail selections will be picked up after the page break.

HTH,

Olly

Grant Perkins

Hello Amarjit,

In the report window, highlight the lines from:

(include the blank line)

Report Date: 30-APR-2010 13:18

Sorted by Account Material Account Distribution Detail Page: 2

From 28-DEC-2009 To 25-APR-2010 USD

Txn Date Item Description

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--- -

-

[/code]

and then go to the Template menu, select New Template, and choose the template type to be Page Header. Then click OK.

Monarch will then ignore the lines selected by the Page Header template, and your multi-line detail selections will be picked up after the page break.

HTH,

Olly[/quote]

Can I be a pedant and clarify Olly's post slightly?

"WHEN PROCESSING FOR THE DETAIL TEMPLATE Monarch will then ignore the lines selected by the Page Header template and your multi-line detail selections will be picked up after the page break. IF YOU NEED TO EXTRACT ANY INFORMATION FROM THE LINES CONTAINED IN THE PAGE HEADER TEMPLATE YOU CAN STILL CAPTURE THE FIELD IN THERE JUST LIKE AN APPEND TEMPLATE."

Amarjit - the Help text you quoted is just a safety stop point so that a multi-line field does not cover more than 2 pages. Remempber that in Monarch you might, effectively, be using virtual pages 254 lines long and to just keep reading pages if the 'stop this field when' rule was not encountered would not be good. I remember ready the same Help text not long ago and thinking that I had never experienced a field termination for that reason.

Hope this helps.

Grant

Amarjit _

Olly & Grant,

Thanks for the reply. Creating the Page Header does solve a part of my problem. Its right that, Monarch ignored the data in the Page header template, that I wanted through Append table. Although, I can extract that data from page header template as well.

But by creating this I loose part of my data which was originally in my Append table.

Can I combine the data from original Append table(that is not part of the page Header) and the data extracted from Page Header.

Since, I need the data (Account#) which resides inside and outside the page header. Can you please suggest some way to do that.

Please let me know, if my question is not clear?

Thanks a lot.

Amarjit

Grant Perkins

Olly & Grant,

Thanks for the reply. Creating the Page Header does solve a part of my problem. Its right that, Monarch ignored the data in the Page header template, that I wanted through Append table. Although, I can extract that data from page header template as well.

But by creating this I loose part of my data which was originally in my Append table.

Can I combine the data from original Append table(that is not part of the page Header) and the data extracted from Page Header.

Since, I need the data (Account#) which resides inside and outside the page header. Can you please suggest some way to do that.

Please let me know, if my question is not clear?

Thanks a lot.

Amarjit[/quote]

Amarjit,

I think the answer to your question is Yes, since Monarch will allow you to combine data from 2 separate fields that exist in the extracted tabkle no matter where the field's contents are sourced from so long as both fields exist in the same record in the table, but it really is very difficult to provide a good and useful response without seeing the actual format of the report. For example nothing you have posted previously mentions an Account Number.

Whilst we can always discuss theories there are times when Monarch requirements can be understood and advised about much more easily with a full and accurate view of the data (i.e. the report) that has to be converted.

If you can post a sample of the report, using cut and paste, to illustrate what you mean that would be excellent.

HTH.

Grant

Amarjit _

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I found a way to get the result I wanted. I created a formula based field list to combine the field list from the pageHeader and the Append type template.

That may not be a very good solution though, but it works for me now.

I am working through some other models, and I will seek help from the Monarchexperts.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Amarjit