1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:07 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Auto-Define Trap error

Kyle_M _

I've just installed Monarch 10.5 Pro and am testing it out. I've replicated a bug that causes Monarch to crash consistently.

- Open the Classic.prn report.

- Open the Lesson3.xmod model.

- Select the top line of the report starting with the date "05/01/08".

- Create a new Template.

- Click the Auto-Define Trap button.

- Crash.

My machine is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

edit:

Based on a little more testing, it appears it only crashes when there is a header template on the first line, and you create another template on the first line and use Auto-Define Trap.

• Auto-Define Trap error
          Grant Perkins

Hi Kyle and welcome to the forum.

I tried out what you described and you are quite right. It's a little messy and an useful message would be better.

However if you try the same thing for another tempate line - say a detail line - there does not seem to be a problem.

So my guess is that this is something to do with the particular special characteristics of the Page Header template. A page header, pretty much by definition, would not be expected to have a secondary template related to it no matter how the template was generated. On the other hand a detail template does allow for other template types to utilise the same line for selection purposes  - a factor that has been used by many to define Append templates to deal with extracting data from awkward reports on a regular basis.

Of course you may know of this potential already - I have know way of knowing whether you do or not.

I think it would make sense for you to send a note to Datawatch about the problem you have found so that it can be trapped in a future release. However for practical purposes the easiest solution would be simply to ensure that you don't try to create a new template using a report line already used as part of a Page Header template.  That way you should be able to avoid any annoying crashes in day to day use of the current release.

Have fun! V10 offers a lot of features to play with.

Grant